Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Peter Beardsley saved from being found to be a racist after two ex-Newcastle players called as witnesses

4 weeks ago
Share

We finally saw a conclusion to the Peter Beardsley situation yesterday.

The FA finding him guilty (see below) of making racist comments to young Newcastle United players when employed as a coach.

The findings of the three day hearing though, deeming him NOT to be a racist, despite making racist comments.

This has provoked much debate, with many people thinking the two things are inextricably linked.

One person puzzled by this seemingly odd double outcome is Chris Powell.

He is currently a coach with the England national team, played for England, was previously Chairman of the PFA.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Powell believes that it was probably character witnesses called by Peter Beardsley, that saved him from being branded a racist by The FA:

“I would like to know they got to that (The FA finding Peter Beardsley guilty of racist comments but not of being a racist).

“Maybe people who came into the court on his behalf?

“I am led to believe a number of players he played with – Les Ferdinand and Andy Cole – spoke up for him, with their relationship with him.

“Maybe that satisfied the committee with regards to is he a racist or not, juts said things out of context, or out of line, I don’t know.

“I would like that to be clarified as other people would.”

The Mag – Thursday 19 September 2019:

Peter Beardsley has released a personal statement on Thursday afternoon.

This followed The FA delivering a guilty verdict (see below) with regard to the long standing allegations regarding his conduct when coaching young players at Newcastle United.

The FA banning Peter Beardsley from football for 32 weeks.

Media Statement on behalf of Peter Beardsley published by Farleys Solicitors:

‘Peter Beardsley is very surprised and disappointed by the decision of the Regulatory Commission. It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the Disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that The FA Rules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.

After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the Commission has expressly found that he is not a racist. Peter and his legal advisers have been inundated with support from all over the Country, both from fellow professionals of the highest repute including John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Les Ferdinand and Andrew Cole, as well as other football professionals including managers, coaches, players, and football fans, all of which provided unchallenged evidence to the Commission as to Peter’s good character, the fact that he is not a racist and whatever was said, there was no intent to cause offence.

Peter has had many great years at Newcastle United and despite the circumstances of his dismissal he will always have the Club close to his heart and wishes the fans the success they deserve in the future. Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter. Peter has always been willing and eager to attend all and any training organised by the Club.

Peter fully appreciates all the support over what has been a difficult period for him and his family, particularly that of previous manager and colleague Arthur Cox. Peter has categorically denied the allegations throughout whilst continuing to honour the contractual obligations of confidentiality to Newcastle United and maintaining his silence which in itself has been very difficult.

With no avenue left open to him to clear his name Peter has no choice but to acknowledge the decision and now looks forward to moving on with his life and resuming his career. He shall respect the sanction imposed and looks forward to returning to work in football, which has been his life, at the end of his suspension.’

The Mag – Earlier yesterday (Thursday 19 September 2019):

Peter Beardsley has been banned from football after being found guilty by The FA.

The former Newcastle star was found guilty by The FA on all three charges relating to his time at St James Park coaching young players.

The decision comes fully 20 months after Peter Beardsley was first put on gardening leave in January 2018 when the allegations were first made.

Beardsley is banned from all football and football-related activity by The FA for 32 weeks, until 29 April 2020.

The FA Statement:

‘An independent Regulatory Commission has suspended Peter Beardsley from all football and football-related activity for a period of 32 weeks until 29 April 2020.

The Football Association [The FA] charged Mr Beardsley with three breaches of FA Rule E3 following the conclusion of initial disciplinary proceedings by Newcastle United FC into allegations of misconduct.

The FA alleged that Mr Beardsley used abusive and/or insulting words, which were contrary to FA Rule E3(1) and constituted an “Aggravated Breach” under FA Rule E3(2) due to reference of ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality, while employed as a coach of the club’s Under-23s team.

All three breaches of FA Rule E3 were denied but subsequently found proven based upon the results and findings of Newcastle United FC’s disciplinary proceedings.

Mr Beardsley has also been ordered to complete a face-to-face education course.’

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2019 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks