Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!


Newcastle United beat Al-Ittihad after two red cards in ‘friendly’

4 months ago

Friday’s friendly finished Al-Ittihad 1 Newcastle 2.

The match played behind closed doors and not available to view online.

Goals from Allan Saint-Maximin and Ryan Fraser winning the match, either side of an equaliser from Hamdallah.

Rather surprisingly for a ‘friendly’, the two teams finished with only ten men, as Ciaran Clark and Hamdallah were red carded in the second-half after clashing.

Although the official club match report (see below) described the sending-offs as harsh.

Earlier today, Eddie Howe gave an injury update saying that Fernandez was back running but not yet training with the main group.

Whilst he said it didn’t look like the injuries to Joelinton and Dummett were serious after they were forced off against Leeds.

As for Jamaal Lascelles, Eddie Howe said he was back training (NUFC players pictured above training, ahead of the friendly) and sure enough he came off the bench and played today.

Newcastle United official report:

Al-Ittihad 1 Newcastle United 2

Newcastle United rounded off their training camp in Saudi Arabia with a 2-1 victory over Saudi Pro League leaders Al-Ittihad on Friday evening.

The behind-closed-doors training match at the 27,000-capacity Prince Abdullah Al Faisal Stadium in the south east of Jeddah was split into two 35-minute halves, with Allan Saint-Maximin netting in the first before Abderazak Hamdallah levelled on the stroke of half time before Ryan Fraser scored what proved to be the winner.

United – captained by Kieran Trippier as Jamaal Lascelles started on the bench following his injury in the Premier League victory at Leeds last weekend – took the lead in the ninth minute through Saint-Maximin’s powerful shot from inside the penalty area after the Frenchman had weaved past a couple of defenders.

Saint-Maximin then almost turned provider as he sent Dwight Gayle away with a pass from the left, but Gayle’s shot was well saved by former Brazil international goalkeeper Marcelo Grohe.

In the 29th minute, Jeff Hendrick sent a powerful effort wide but the hosts equalised as Morocco international Hamdallah beat the United offside trap and finished expertly beyond Karl Darlow.

At the beginning of the second half, Darlow was beaten again but the woodwork came to United’s rescue as Romarinho’s strike cannoned back off the frame of the goal.

Ciaran Clark was then somewhat harshly shown a straight red card after tangling with Hamdallah, who was also dismissed.

But in the 57th minute, Fraser’s stunning strike flew into the top corner to give the Magpies victory as they prepare to return to Tyneside on Saturday.

Newcastle United: Karl Darlow (Mark Gillespie 48), Kieran Trippier (c) (Jamaal Lascelles 36), Fabian Schär (Jonjo Shelvey 36), Ciaran Clark, Javier Manquillo, Jeff Hendrick, Joe Willock (Sean Longstaff 62), Sean Longstaff (Matty Longstaff 36), Jacob Murphy, Allan Saint-Maximin (Ryan Fraser 36), Dwight Gayle

Sub not used: Freddie Woodman


If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2022 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks