Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Burnley official statement – Very keen to get message out that Chris Wood release clause triggered

1 week ago
Share

Thursday morning has seen Chris Wood confirmed as a Newcastle United player.

The second NUFC signing of this January 2022 transfer window after last week’s arrival of Kieran Trippier, with hopefully more to follow.

A Newcastle United official announcement (see below) revealing that the New Zealand international striker had completed his move to Tyneside.

As Newcastle United released their statement, Burnley did the same.

Burnley official statement – 13 January 2022:

‘Burnley Football Club can confirm that Chris Wood has today joined Newcastle United for an undisclosed fee, after the club triggered the striker’s transfer release clause.

Wood, who joined the Club in 2017, departs Turf Moor after scoring a total of 53 goals in 165 appearances, including three goals in 21 games this season.

Everyone at Burnley FC thanks Chris for his efforts and contribution during his time at the Club.’

Burnley’s statement very brief and whilst Newcastle’s simply talked of an ‘undisclosed fee’, the selling club very keen to get the message out that they’d had no say in the matter, with Newcastle United having triggered Wood’s release clause. Burnley having faced a lot of criticism from their supporters as news came out they were selling their best striker in the middle of a relegation battle.

Most of the media have put that release clause figure at £20m, though a few have claimed it to be as high as £25m.

Either way, if Chris Wood can help Newcastle United avoid relegation, it will be money well spent. Plus next season, whichever division NUFC end up in, the new signing will be a very good asset.

Newcastle United official announcement – 13 January 2022:

‘Newcastle United are delighted to confirm the signing of New Zealand striker Chris Wood from Burnley for an undisclosed fee.

Wood has signed a two-and-a-half year contract and arrives in time to feature in Saturday’s Premier League clash with Watford at St. James’ Park.

The 30-year-old becomes the Magpies’ second signing of the January transfer window following the arrival of England international full-back Kieran Trippier from Atlético Madrid.

Wood will wear the number 20 shirt – the first number he wore for his country. The Auckland-born forward has scored 27 goals for the All Whites in 60 international appearances.

Chris Wood said: “This is a very exciting opportunity for me and I’m delighted to be a Newcastle United player.

“I have played at St. James’ Park a few times and it’s an amazing place, so to have the chance to represent this club with those incredible supporters behind me and my team-mates is very special.

“The club and manager have been first class during this process, and I really can’t wait to get onto the pitch and repay the faith they have in me, especially with a vital part of the season ahead of us.”

Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe said: “Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I’m very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here.

“He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us.”

Wood began his career in his native New Zealand with clubs in Auckland and Hamilton before a successful trial saw him move to England with West Bromwich Albion in 2008.

After impressing at youth level and breaking into the first team, he enjoyed loan spells with Barnsley, Brighton, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Millwall and Leicester City, eventually completing a permanent switch to the Foxes in January 2013.

He helped Nigel Pearson’s side to the Championship title during the 2013/14 season and was loaned to Ipswich Town in February 2015 before a move to Leeds United followed that summer.

Wood netted 44 goals in 88 appearances in a Leeds shirt – including an injury-time equaliser at St. James’ Park during the Magpies’ successful Championship-winning season – and he was soon snapped up by Burnley in summer 2017 for a then-club-record fee.

He moves to St. James’ Park after four-and-a-half years at Turf Moor, during which he helped the Clarets to become an established top-flight side with 49 goals in 144 Premier League appearances.’

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2022 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks