Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!


Joey Barton gets jury verdict in court 32 months after alleged assault ABH incident

2 months ago

Joey Barton has been on trial this past week.

The former Newcastle United player having been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Now at Bristol Rovers, the alleged Joey Barton incident was back in April 2019, when the then Barnsley head coach Daniel Stendel claimed he had been the victim of an assault by the then Fleetwood manager.

Joey Barton denied any involvement in a fall that left Stendel with facial injuries and insisted he had simply jogged up the tunnel in order to reach the dressing room ahead of his players, totally oblivious to anything having happened to the then Barnsley boss.

Now at Sheffield Crown Court on Monday, The Athletic report that the 10 person jury were sent out to decide their verdict and came back two hours later with a not guilt decision for Joey Barton.

A long 32 months for this to be hanging over Joey Barton.

Covid has played a major role in the delay, including a previous attempt to hear the case in June earlier this year ended in farce (see below).

The Mag – 10 June 2021:

Joey Barton went on trial on Monday at Sheffield Crown Court, the former Newcastle United midfielder appearing in court in relation to an incident that happened in April 2019.

Barton having previously pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The then Fleetwood Town boss alleged to have pushed the then Barnsley manager, Daniel Stendel, in the tunnel after a game, causing damage to a tooth.

However, after having helped to delay the trial until 26 months after the alleged incident, the Covid situation struck again.

Stendel was appearing via video link from Germany because he was unable to travel over from Germany due to Covid restrictions.

The judge though stopping the trial and discharging the jury due to ‘technical difficulties’, as well as issues with the translation of Stendel’s evidence and his understanding of what was happening during the trial hearing.

Judge Richardson saying the trial would be relisted to a time when the complainant (Daniel Stendel) could travel to Sheffield to appear in person.

That new trial date has now been set for 26 November, with Joey Barton on unconditional bail until then. The new date court date will be 31 months after the alleged assault took place.

After bringing proceedings to a halt on Tuesday, the Judge, Jeremy Richardson QC, stated:

“Mr Stendel would have been at court with the use of an interpreter but because of the pandemic and the limits of travel, it was decided he would give evidence from a court in Germany.

“Electronic communication we have now all found out over the last 12 to 18 months has been a mixed blessing.

“The problem has been that with Mr Stendel’s evidence, he has a provincial accent that is difficult to understand.

“He was in a courtroom in Germany rather than a small room, as he might be here, and thus there is an echo. We are in a large courtroom because we need to be.

“The interpreter in your absence and the judge in the German court agreed, there have been some examples of missed understanding and mistranslation. Well, that is just not fair to the witness, Mr Barton or to you.

“As the case unfolded this morning with his [Stendel’s] evidence, I became increasingly concerned that things were getting lost in translation. He is a critical witness in this case and it is not fair to you, to Mr Barton or to him as a witness and so I put a stop to it.”


If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2022 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks