Newcastle United star makes public what new club owners told him about short-term plans
Newcastle United star Martin Dubvravka last played football at the ‘2020’ European Championships finals.
A painful memory for the NUFC goalkeeper as Slovakia exited on the back of a 5-0 hammering in June 2021.
Even more painful when then it came to Martin Dubravka needing an operation pre-season that has kept him out of the opening months of the 2020/21 Premier League season, a repeat of a year earlier when a pre-season operation also led to a delayed start to the season for Newcastle’s number one.
Out injured for the opening 14 Premier League games last (2020/21) season, insult was added to injury when then Steve Bruce failed to put him in the team despite Karl Darlow’s rapidly deteriorating form after some promising performances early on.
From late December, Bruce kept Martin Dubravka on the bench for 11 PL games and Newcastle won only two them. A different story though once restored to the team, the final 13 PL match seeing Dubravka and NUFC losing only three of them, with five wins and five draws.
Martin Dubravka is hoping to get some first team football in the coming six days, as Slovakia play Slovenia and Malta. Though failing that, all eyes will be on Saturday 20 November and the NUFC keeper seeing if (set to be manager) Eddie Howe brings him in to face Brentford, to kick off what looks a crucial set of fixtures.
Ahead of these games, Martin Dubravka has been talking to media in Slovakia about regular training ground visits by the new Newcastle United owners, as well as his perception of and views on Eddie Howe.
Martin Dubravka talking to sport.sk – 8 November 2021:
“The new management [Newcastle United owners] came to see us and expressed their great support.
“They outlined some short-term plans to us and I can tell you that they are planning to rebuild the training centre, which is the first goal so far.
“Of course, some reinforcements should come in January [as well].
“It was positive for me that they came to us and said plainly how things were.
“They wanted to bring in a new coach and I think this should be an announced change in the coming days.
“It is positive for me that they communicate with us every day and they are also often in the training centre.
“Some negotiations have probably already taken place [with Eddie Howe], as he also appeared at the last match [at Brighton] but I do not know anything more.
“I would like the situation to be resolved, to let us know with what style and philosophy the new coach will want to present himself, so that we can concentrate only on football.
“I see Eddie Howe positively because I had the opportunity to play several matches against Bournemouth and his team always presented itself with combination football. It was not at all easy to play against him, which is good if such a change were to take place. If it’s him, then time will tell if it will be the right move.
“He is a modern type of coach and Bournemouth, a relatively smaller club, was not only able to get into the Premier League, but also keep them there for a long time with a low budget, which is also a certain indicator.
“Wherever I worked, I had to fight for my position. Whether it was in the Czech Republic, Denmark or Slovakia.
“In my view, nothing changes. I always had to show myself in the best possible light, [so] if the new leadership [owners] decides to bring reinforcements, whether to a goalkeeper post or some other position, it will be up to the individual players to deal with it.
“At the moment, I am just thinking about being in good health and getting back in goal as soon as possible.
“I believe that in the future I will be part of the ‘new’ Newcastle, which has great goals and ambitions.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]