Richard Keys says Newcastle United takeover set to go ahead after major breakthrough
It obviously sticks in the throat to agree with anything that Richard Keys says…BUT…here’s hoping he is on the money this time.
The beIN Sports employee now indicating (see below) that he is very confident that the Newcastle United takeover is actually set to happen.
Things have quickly escalated on Wednesday afternoon after the initial breaking news that Saudi Arabia had announced they were now settling all the issues that beIN Sports / Qatar had with them regarding TV piracy.
Saudi Arabia confirmed that the four and a half year ban against beIN Sports will be lifted.
The Qatari broadcaster will also receive damages, as part of a $1bn arbitration case that was launched by beIN.
Whilst the Saudi government also pledged to work directly with beIN to close down any TV piracy in Saudi Arabia.
Initially, the Saudi moves were met with cautious optimism regarding any positive impact on the NUFC takeover situation, that just maybe this was a small step towards Mike Ashley selling up, though the general feeling in the reports was still that the Saudi PIF / State separation issue wasn’t yet able to be sorted without something significant happening further.
However…that initial cautious optimism has rapidly been overtaken by massive positivity from not just Richard Keys but also right across the English media.
With journalists obviously having been briefed that this NUFC takeover could well be on, with it potentially even set to be sorted before the scheduled January 2022 arbitration hearing involved Newcastle United and the Premier League.
“Qatari objections to the Newcastle takeover all settled.
“Piracy was always the issue. BeOUTQ turned off.
“BeIN illegal ban in Saudi ended.
“Expect lightening news now on what happens next.
“It’ll be interesting to see who eventually emerges leading the consortium.”
The Mail / Craig Hope:
‘BREAKING: Newcastle’s Saudi takeover is set to GO THROUGH as piracy row is settled’
“Sources indicate NUFC takeover is expected to go through after settlement of piracy issues between Saudi/beIN.
“I’m told arbitration may not be needed now piracy is resolved.
“Alleged state piracy was the issue, hence the need to prove separation.”
The Telegraph / Luke Edwards:
‘Newcastle takeover deal back ON after Saudi Arabian buyers clear major hurdle’
“I haven’t been hacked.
“I think the Newcastle United takeover will now happen.
“I am more positive about Newcastle United takeover happening today than I have been at any stage since May 2020.
“Previously sceptical sources telling me this afternoon they think it will now happen.
“Stick your #cans in the fridge.
“This is it.
“There is still work to do, hurdles to overcome but all details are here: this is most significant moment in Newcastle United Takeover for 18 months and lots of people, inc me, are very confident this will now go through.”
‘LATEST | The Saudi Arabia-financed consortium’s bid for NUFC is expected to go through in the near future following the reversal of a ban on beIN Sport in the Gulf nation.’
Ironically, it is now the Newcastle United fans on social media, who in many cases are the ones trying very much to dilute this down to cautious optimism, as journalists / media are heading in the other direction.
Too many false dawns in the past, understandably making Newcastle fans think they will believe it when they see it.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]