Steve Bruce confirms Callum Wilson amongst 5 Newcastle United players set to miss Man Utd
Steve Bruce has been talking to the media ahead of the match against Manchester United.
Old Trafford 3pm on Saturday, with Newcastle United hoping to avoid dropping into the relegation zone after the international break.
A nightmare start to the season with a cup exit and one point from a possible nine, now Newcastle United having beat Man Utd away only once in the past 49 years.
The injury / fitness / availability situation not surprisingly high on the agenda, with concerns about a number of players,
Really bad, though predictable, news on Callum Wilson, with the striker out for the foreseeable future with no return date for Steve Bruce to give.
Worries yet again of Bruce taking unnecessary risks with players, should Wilson have really started against Southampton and risked a long lay-off?
Jonjo Shelvey had already been ruled out for this Man Utd match by the club, Martin Dubravka as well. Whilst with Paul Dummett missing from the training images released by the club on Thursday, it appears clear that he is still out injured.
Ryan Fraser also misses with an ankle injury, though Steve Bruce says not as serious as first looked / thought.
That makes at least five Newcastle United players missing for Saturday, whilst Bruce says that Karl Darlow continues to be assessed, so it remains to be seen whether he is named in the matchday squad tomorrow.
One bit of good news is that a solution, or at least a temporary one, has been found with regards to Paraguay and Miguel Almiron, Miggy will be allowed to play against Man Utd.
Steve Bruce on injury situation:
“Callum Wilson won’t make the weekend unfortunately with his thigh injury. We’re not going to put a timescale on it. It’s really frustrating for Callum and for us. We’ve just got to give it as long as it needs.”
“It’s a difficult one for the players because the ultimate is to play for your country. They’ve been drawn into a difficult situation. However, a bit of common sense has prevailed and he’s available for selection so we’re extremely pleased.”
“Ryan won’t make it for the weekend. He’s twisted his ankle but it doesn’t look as bad as the pictures of him on crutches would suggest – it’s only precautionary.”
“He’s trained the last ten days and there’s been a big improvement from him which we’re all delighted about.
“He’s put himself in contention but we’ll make that decision in the next 24 hours.
“We’re pleased he’s back training and looks a bit more like himself.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]