35 year old former Newcastle United cult hero ruled out for season with fractured skull
Shocking news on Friday that former Newcastle United player James Perch has been ruled out for the season.
The 35 year old one-time NUFC cult hero having suffered a fractured skull during a training session in August, following an innocuous aerial challenge.
James Perch was one of those players who left fans scratching their heads when he signed BUT over time became a real fans favourite, giving it everything, whether playing right-back, left-back, centre-back, or even central midfield at times.
Minimal money was made available to Chris Hughton by Mike Ashley to deal with a return to the Premier League in 2010 and along with brilliant moves for Cheick Tiote (£3.5m) and Hatem Ben Arfa (on loan), the NUFC boss brought in the versatile James Perch for a bargain fee of around £1m.
When Newcastle finished fifth in the Premier League in 2011/12, James Perch played in 25 of the 38 PL games, starting 13 and sub in another 12. The versatile player becoming a real NUFC cult hero for many fans.
James Perch moved on in 2013, playing for QPR, Nottingham Forest, Wigan and Scunthorpe United.
Then moving on to Mansfield Town in 2020.
All the best to James and hopefully we see him back on a football pitch next season.
Mansfield Official Statement:
‘Defender James Perch has been ruled out for the season after a scan has revealed a fractured skull.
The 35-year-old suffered the injury during a training session last month following an innocuous aerial challenge.
The former Newcastle United player had been in excellent form in his first four games of the season for the Stags.
Manager Nigel Clough said: “It’s devastating news for both James and ourselves. It’s a massive blow.
“As we’ve said all along, we cannot take any chances with this type of injury and are being completely guided by the specialists.
“We’ll do everything we can to support James throughout his rehabilitation.”
James Perch said: “I feel gutted to learn that I won’t be able to step on to the pitch again this season and help the team.
“I also feel so disappointed not to play in front of the Stags’ supporters again in 2021-22, on their first season back inside the ground, and was hoping for a really productive campaign for my hometown club.
“I’d like to thank the medical staff at the club, the manager and his staff, my family and the Stags’ fans for their support and well wishes.
“I’ll remain as positive as possible and as one of the experienced players in the squad, I’ll be doing my utmost to support the boys in and around the training ground on a daily basis.”
The club will offer its unreserved support to James throughout his rehabilitation period.’
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]