Newcastle United signings ‘will definitely be arriving’ shortly
Wednesday is day 50 of the 2021 summer transfer window and Newcastle United signings are a ‘little’ thin on the ground.
Indeed, they are invisible to the naked eye.
Only 34 transfer window days remain after this and just the 18 days until Newcastle kick off their Premier League season, fans understandably worried with not a single player signed so far.
Matters not helped when after a poor performance at Rotherham ended up with Jeff Hendrick playing centre-forward, Steve Bruce (who had been booed and had negative chants aimed at him during the course of the poor display at Rotherham) was asked after the final whistle if Newcastle United had made any progress in the transfer market, to which Bruce replied:
“I wish I could say ‘yes’…but we are still bashing away and I’ll try to continue to do that.”
The NUFC Head Coach preaching the need for patience, just as well Newcastle United fans have so much experience of that under Mike Ashley, though far too often transfer windows have ended without that patience having been rewarded.
However, emerging out of a sea of negativity, Newcastle United fans have been told that key signings ‘will definitely be arriving’ before too long.
That message has come from Steve Bruce’s big mate and media ally, Luke Edwards of The Telegraph.
The journalist using his Twitter account to declare:
“Transfer progress remains slow at Newcastle United but assured new players will definitely be arriving.
“Red herring arbitration really has ruined summer’s recruitment and the thing is, even it had happened and been won, takeover wouldn’t have gone through before close of window. Shocking.”
I agree with part of that, in terms of regardless of anything to do with the legal moves, Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce should be ensuring the squad is ready for the new season, an integral part of which is signing new players to strengthen and freshen things up.
As to which positions we can expect a player(s) to arrive for, if indeed there are to be signings…Steve Bruce has now made things a bit clearer:
“The midfield area is a must, in my opinion.
“We will look to try and strengthen there first.”
As to where not to expect anything, despite Andy Carroll leaving and Yoshinori Muto hopefully following him, Steve Bruce said about the forward line:
“When everybody is right I think we have got adequate cover up there [as well as Callum Wilson], we have got Allan Saint-Maximin, Joelinton, Miguel Almiron and we’ve got Dwight [Gayle].
“How many [forwards] do you have in a squad of 22 outfield players?
“I’ve probably got to look at picking four goalkeepers in the squad, which is a little bit unheard of, but with the problems I’ve got there, that’s in the back of my mind at the minute.”
The sight of Jeff Hendrick leading the line will stay in the minds of more than a few fans and last season Steve Bruce only gave Dwight Gayle four Premier League starts, not suggesting the greatest confidence.
Whilst the idea of Callum Wilson having more injury problems (only 23 PL starts last season)doesn’t bear thinking about, if no new forward is to be signed.
We await these new signings with interest…
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]