Newcastle United Official Statement: 3 senior players agree new contracts and 2 extensions
An official Newcastle United statement released on Wednesday afternoon has finally given fans an update regarding one issue.
The futures of up to half a dozen Newcastle players looked in doubt, as their contracts came to an end on 30 June 2021 and no new deals had been announced.
There were any numbers of claims in the media as to whether or not any of all of these players had been retained BUT absolutely nothing official from the club.
It all became even more baffling when Premier League rules meant Newcastle United had to present them with their very finalised released and retained lists by 23 June 2021.
Now 14 days later after that deadline, the club have belatedly confirmed that five players have now got longer deals, though no great detail shared by NUFC.
Both Paul Dummett and Fabian Schar have had contract extensions triggered by Newcastle United, media reports had claimed one year each but no clarity from the club today on exactly how long.
The same with three players who Newcastle United say have signed new contracts.
No details on length of new contract for Federico Fernandez, Jacob Murphy or Dwight Gayle, although widespread media claims had said it was / is a new three year one for Gayle. All very bizarre when Steve Bruce refused to play Dwight Gayle last season (only four PL starts) and a three year deal would almost take the striker up to the age of 35.
Maybe the new contracts announcement has been left so late, to make fans feel like it is five new signings…
One name missing from the list of new deals is Andy Carroll.
Reports had claimed he had been offered yet another one year deal and after he returned from holiday the details were going to be finalised.
Newcastle United Official Statement:
Newcastle United has confirmed that Jacob Murphy, Federico Fernández and Dwight Gayle have all signed new contracts with the club.
The club has also exercised the option of extending the contracts of defenders Paul Dummett and Fabian Schär into the 2021/22 season.
Murphy, Fernández, Gayle and Dummett have all reported back for pre-season training this week, while Schär will return to Tyneside later this month after helping Switzerland to the quarter-final stage of this summer’s European Championships.
Newcastle United head coach Steve Bruce said: “I’m delighted to extend the players’ contracts.
“They all have a thorough understanding of this club and what it takes to play here, and they have all made excellent contributions over recent years.
“The hard work preparing for the new season has already begun and we’re looking forward to building momentum as we head towards the big kick-off next month.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]