Martin Dubravka with good news/bad news update on his injury and future after surgery
Newcastle United are maintaining total silence on Martin Dubravka, as is the case with pretty much anything else at the club.
It is over a week now since the first media reports revealed that the NUFC number one required surgery and would miss the start of the season.
A massive blow for a Newcastle squad that already needed a significant injection of quality.
Then at the weekend the 32 year old sent a message to Newcastle fans from his hospital bed in the Czech Republic, along with a photo of himself, after having had the surgery.
Yet still not any mention / acknowledgement from the club about this key player and his operation and now recovery.
Thankfully, Martin Dubravka himself has given us an update, the Newcastle star speaking to media back in Slovakia.
Martin Dubravka talking to sport.sk with a good news/bad news update:
Why another operation?
“I have been feeling pain in my leg since last December. This was probably due to the fact that last year I had a torn tendon, so I loaded the foot differently than usual. I was constantly feeling uncomfortable in my football. The pain escalated, getting more and more intense. In the end, it turned out to be a fatigue fracture and surgery was necessary, otherwise it could leave even more negative traces.
“I underwent the procedure on Saturday in Prostějov [Czech Republic] at a specialized clinic with Dr. Vladimír Macháček. He solved my ankle problem seven years ago, and since then he has had my full trust. I wanted to go somewhere I know. I firmly believe that everything turned out well and it will be the same this time.
Examination by magnetic resonance or CT showed something, but only in the operating room was it found that it was a bigger problem. I had a broken first metatarsal cube and I had a fragment there that needed to be removed. ”
How long should rehabilitation and a break from football last?
“I would love to start the first match of the new season. However, this is highly unlikely. The doctor told me that it was individual that each patient responded differently. He has had a positive experience with me, as after the mentioned operation, the member predicted a two-month break for me, but I was back after three weeks.
“Now, [this time] the procedure was finally longer than planned, so a longer convalescence will probably be necessary. But it was important to solve it.”
How did they react in Newcastle, what did you agree with them?
“They have known since December that I have a problem and that sometime it will have to be resolved. They saw how my condition developed…after the first week of the Euro, I was already needing the help of drugs.
“However, this is no excuse, because I really wanted to complete the championship. After the tournament, the doctors told me to rest in particular. However, the pain did not subside, so I chose a different path.
Before that, I tried all possible procedures, as at first it didn’t seem like a fracture. I believed that a week by the sea with my family after the Euros would help me. It didn’t help either. I originally went to Prostějov only for an injection, but the doctor x-rayed me thoroughly, did a magnet examination and then it turned out that the injection would not help. We wasted no time and I went to surgery four days after the diagnosis.
“I thought that in the previous months I had already had all the bad luck, but almost exactly at the same time as last year, it’s here again. I don’t know how to explain it. Whether it’s extreme effort, or I’m just getting older…it’s disappointing for me. I was looking forward to the new season, to football, to Newcastle. Unfortunately, I have to wait.
“It is all the more regrettable when more spectators can finally return to the stands. When St James Park is full, or at least for the most part, it is something special.”
On the negative side of things, we have to be gutted for both Martin Dubravka and ourselves as fans, that he has had to have surgery once again and will miss the start of the season. I think quite clearly we aren’t supposed to take seriously his throwaway mention of wanting to play against West Ham in the opening game. It is an emotional response rather than the reality.
Indeed, with less than four weeks until the season starts, I would be amazed if Martin Dubravka was involved in any of the August games. After all, the Southampton home game on Saturday 28 August is only 13 days after that opening match v the Hammers. With an international break to follow, it would give Dubravka over seven weeks to get sorted for the fourth Premier League game of the season against Man Utd on 11 September, that hopefully a realistic target.
On the good news side of things, as Martin Dubravka says, this operation has been done to hopefully get to the bottom of his injury issues and fingers crossed will give a long-term solution.
Also on the positive front.
During the interview Martin Dubravka mentions, when asked, that this summer he has had approaches from other clubs. Though he doesn’t go into in any detail, I’m assuming that even if he had been tempted, ironically the injury problems and need for surgery have ensured that this excellent goalkeeper stays at Newcastle United, at least for the time being.
What happens in his absence will be interesting to see.
For me you have to give Freddie Woodman his chance, as potentially he could be a top class keeper and have a long career at Newcastle United if the club was sold and everything went positive. Karl Darlow has shown himself to be a decent stand-in but as I say, for me Woodman is now 24 and if he wasn’t given this chance he will surely think he’s wasting him time with NUFC.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]