Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Sky Sports confusing report on future of Jacob Murphy with interest from other clubs

3 weeks ago
Share

Jacob Murphy is one of a number of current players who Newcastle fans have been waiting for news on, regarding their futures.

Sky Sports have provided an update (see below) on Tuesday about the former Norwich player’s situation.

They say that Jacob Murphy is set to hold more talks with Newcastle United about a new contract.

With Sky Sports saying that Burnley and Porto are amongst the other clubs who are interested in the versatile right sided player.

However, the confusing part is that Sky Sports are saying that Jacob Murphy actually still has one year left on his current deal with Newcastle United. This is at odds with the widespread reporting right from his signing for Newcastle in summer 2017, that it was a four year contract that had been agreed, running up to and ending on 30 June 2021.

The club have never actually ever stated how many years Jacob Murphy signed for and certainly haven’t clarified / countered this widespread knowledge / perception of his contract ending in 2021.

Two and a half months ago in early April 2021, Steve Bruce stated: “I sincerely hope that we tie Jacob down. He’s played a big part in the season. I’ve been very, very pleased with him.”

This comment appearing to confirm that Jacob Murphy was indeed set to see his current deal end this summer.

The club have shown no urgency with any number of other players in allowing their deals to go deep into the final year of their contracts, so it was just assumed this Jacob Murphy was the same.

With seemingly little prospect of much investment in the squad to be allowed by Mike Ashley, it would be at least one positive if Murphy has indeed got another year to go, regardless of whether he ends up signing another contract.

Since the season ended a month ago, the trickle of information from NUFC’s lone spokesman Steve Bruce has dropped to zero, with no updates at all from the Head Coach since the season finale. With nobody else at all, especially Lee Charnley, communicating with supporters, the futures of a number of currently contracted players is just one issue that fans are completely in the dark about.

Whilst there has been plenty of media speculation about the situations of the various players. As well as Jacob Murphy, the club have made no comment / clarification on Federico Fernandez, Fabian Schar, Andy Carroll and Paul Dummett.

Sky Sports report – Tuesday 22 June 2021:

Newcastle are expected to hold further talks with Jacob Murphy over a new contract amid interest from other clubs.

Portuguese side Porto, as well as Burnley, are said to be keen on the 26-year-old, who finished the Premier League season strongly.

But the Magpies are insisting Murphy, who has only one year left on his contract on Tyneside, is not for sale and they want him to sign a new long-term deal.

The former England U21 player signed from Norwich for just over £10m in 2017 and – after loan spells at West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday – he established himself under Newcastle manager Steve Bruce last season.’

Bruce was asked about Murphy’s contract situation towards the end of last season and said:

“I sincerely hope that we tie Jacob down. He’s played a big part in the season. I’ve been very, very pleased with him.”

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2021 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks