Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Super Computer model rates Newcastle United chances of beating Wolves and relegation probability

1 month ago
Share

Interesting overview of Newcastle United for the season and Sunday’s match against Wolves.

The super computer model predictions are based on the FiveThirtyEight revision to the Soccer Power Index, which is a rating mechanism for football teams which takes account of over half a million matches, and is based on Opta‘s play-by-play data.

They have analysed all Premier League matches this weekend, including this game against Wolves.

Their computer model gives Wolves a 52% chance of a win, it is 27% for a draw and a 21% possibility of a Newcastle win (percentage probabilities rounded up/down to nearest whole number).

When it comes to winning the title, they have the probability as 28% of Liverpool retaining the title and Man City a 50% chance, Chelsea 5%, Man Utd 5%, Tottenham and Everton 3%.

Newcastle United are rated at somewhere less than 1% to win the title but given a predicted 1% chance to finish top four.

Also interesting to see how the computer model rates the percentage probability chances of relegation at this early stage:

63% West Brom

56% Fulham

45% Sheff Utd

33% Burnley

26% Newcastle United

20% Palace

18% Leeds

14% Brighton

8% Southampton

5% West Ham

4% Wolves

2% Villa

2% Leicester

1% Arsenal

1% Everton

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2020 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks