Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Former top referee rules on Sheffield United v Newcastle controversial incident

2 months ago
Share

Former top Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher is normally on duty for Sky Sports.

Giving his expert opinion on controversial incidents after Premier League matches.

However, like so many others, he has been on temporary loan to Amazon Prime this week.

On duty during the Sheffield United v Newcastle United match, Dermot Gallagher was perfectly positioned [unlike the linesman apparently…] to give his expert opinion with 20 minutes to go.

A long ball to Andy Carroll who flicks the ball on for Jonjo Shelvey to run/jog onto.

Linesman’s flag goes up and everybody stops and waits for a defensive free-kick to be taken and the game to restart.

Only the game hasn’t been stopped, referee Stuart Attwell hasn’t blown his whistle and is instead jogging behind Shelvey.

The NUFC midfielder passing the ball into the net as the home keeper makes no/minimal attempt to save.

VAR showed Carroll to be onside and the goal stood, 90% of those inside Bramall Lane stunned the other 10% ecstatic.

Dermot Gallagher had no doubts…

“It [the use of VAR on Thursday night] is the perfect process really…because during pre-season the teams were told that referees, if it’s really tight, have to hold the whistle.

“You can see Stuart [Attwell] goes to whistle, but realises and then puts his hand out, to say ‘carry on playing.’

“Jonjo Shelvey goes on, it goes to VAR and it’s quite rightly given as a goal, because Andy Carroll is not offside.

“During the pre-season every club was visited by a referee and the PGMOL, this was explained quite clearly to them.

“They took videos in, showed them videos of their own games and explained to them ‘in this situation you must play to the whistle and VAR can come back to check it, if it is offside don’t worry, it will be given.’

“It is a change though because everyone has to change their mindset, [referee] Stuart [Attwell] had to as well.

“In the old days when I was a referee and I saw the flag go up, instantly I would whistle.

“Stuart has applied the law correctly as it is now and players should do the same.”

Stats from BBC Sport:

Sheffield United 0 Newcastle 2  – Thursday 5 December 7.30pm

Goals:

Newcastle United:

Saint-Maximin 15, Shelvey 70

Possession was Sheff Utd 73%, Newcastle 27%

Total shots were Sheff Utd 13, Newcastle 6

Shots on target were Sheff Utd 6, Newcastle 4

Corners were Sheff Utd 8, Newcastle 1

Crowd: 30,409 (2,900 Newcastle)

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Newcastle team v Sheffield Utd:

Dubravka, Manquillo, Fernandez, Dummett, Clark, Willems, Hayden, Shelvey, Saint-Maximin (Atsu 81), Almiron (Krafth 88), Carroll (Joelinton 72)

Unused Subs

Darlow, Schar, Sean Longstaff, Gayle

(Steve Bruce defends boring tactics following criticism after beating Sheffield United 2-0 – Read HERE)

(Match Report – That was shocking for neutrals to watch…but we aren’t neutrals – Sheffield United 0 Newcastle 2 – Read HERE)

(Sheffield United 0 Newcastle 2 – Instant NUFC fan/writer reaction to Thursday’s win – Read HERE)

(Chris Wilder blames VAR and Steve Bruce’s super negative tactics for defeat at Bramall Lane – Read HERE)

(3 Positives and 3 Negatives from Sheffield United 0 Newcastle 2 – Read HERE)

(Sheffield United 0 Newcastle 2 – Watch official match highlights and both goals here! – Read HERE)

(Sheffield United 0 Newcastle 2 – Match ratings and comments on all NUFC players – Read HERE)

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2020 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks