Newcastle United release official statement updating on Jamaal Lascelles injury
Jamaal Lascelles was forced from the pitch through injury on Saturday.
Steve Bruce saying after the game that the NUFC Captain would be having scans on his knee.
Tuesday night brought newspaper reports (see below) saying that Jamaal Lascelles would not be seen in action until next year.
Now the club have released an official statement confirming this is the case.
Newcastle United official statement:
‘Newcastle United can confirm that Magpies captain Jamaal Lascelles will be out until the New Year after suffering a knee injury during Saturday’s 2-1 victory over AFC Bournemouth.
The central defender sustained the injury during the first half of the match and had to be replaced by Paul Dummett.
Lascelles has started all 12 of the club’s Premier League fixtures so far this season, scoring once.’
The Mag – 12 November 2019:
Only two minutes into Saturday’s game, Jamaal Lascelles was involved in a collision with Martin Dubrabka.
Bournemouth player Callum Wilson appearing to cause/contribute to the collision with a needless challenge.
The Newcastle United captain played on but didn’t look 100%, eventually going off in the 20th minute after the Cherries had taken the lead six minutes earlier.
After the game, Steve Bruce said that he hoped it wasn’t too serious and that the fact Jamaal Lascelles was able to walk off the pitch, was a positive sign.
However, later on the NUFC defender was seen to leave St James Park on crutches.
As usual, the club needed to wait for the swelling to subside before having scans done.
Now on Tuesday night the results have been revealed with The Sun breaking the story.
They report that the results have shown ligament damage and Jamaal Lascelles won’t be playing football again until 2020.
He is set to miss up to three months of first team football, which of course will include the congested festive period.
If we take it to the full three months from the Bournemouth game and up to the second weekend in February, that would involve missing a massive 13 Premier League matches and our FA Cup ‘run’…
Paul Dummett replaced Jamaal Lascelles on Saturday and along with fellow centre-backs Fernandez and Clark help ensured no more goals were conceded in the final 70 minutes.
With six credible centre-backs, it is the only position where Newcastle can arguably afford to have a few injuries.
Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune are also said to be close to full fitness, so hopefully still plenty of options for Steve Bruce starting with Villa in 13 days time.
The other question of course will be who now steps up to be captain?
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]