Newcastle United release further official statement on Matt Ritchie injury – Not good news
Matt Ritchie had hardly missed a game since arriving from Bournemouth in summer 2016.
Suspension overwhelmingly responsible for the handful of league matches the winger missed.
Matt Ritchie appearing in 113 of the 122 league matches for Newcastle in those first three seasons.
Then came that unpunished foul in the Leicester League Cup match in late August and it has been a nightmare ever since for Ritchie.
At first Steve Bruce kept saying how Matt Ritchie would be back playing in an unbelievably quick time.
However, time dragged on and eventually on 10 October an official club statement confirmed the player had needed a ‘minor’ operation on his ankle but was expected to be playing again by the end of October.
Once again time has dragged by and exactly seven weeks later, a further/another NUFC official statement as confirmed another operation.
With him not expected to play until 2020, which surely means he misses at least the next nine games, as Newcastle are set to play that schedule concluding with an FA Cup match on (or around) 4 January 2020.
Not sure what has suddenly changed because only on Monday night, Steve Bruce said about Matt Ritchie: ‘Unfortunately he is not near fitness at the moment. He seen a specialist last week and he said to give him another rest and see if that does it. We will see what happens in the next couple of weeks but at the moment he is still not ready to return.’
Good luck to him anyway and hopefully we will see him back on the pitch sooner rather than later, I have a feeling we are very much going to need him in the second half of the season.
Newcastle United Official Statement – 28 November 2019:
‘Newcastle United can confirm that Matt Ritchie has undergone a second operation on the ankle injury he sustained during the Carabao Cup clash with Leicester City in August.
Ritchie sustained the injury following a challenge by Foxes midfielder Hamza Choudhury and was forced to have an initial surgical procedure in October.
The 30-year-old will continue his rehabilitation on Tyneside and is expected to return to action in January 2020.’
Newcastle United Official Statement – 10 October 2019:
‘Newcastle United can confirm that Matt Ritchie has undergone a minor ankle operation.
The 30-year-old was injured after a challenge by Hamza Choudhury in August’s Carabao Cup tie against Leicester City.
Following the successful surgery, it is hoped that Ritchie will be able to resume full training shortly and could return to first team action towards the end of this month.’
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]