Is Richard Keys just pure fantasist with new Newcastle United takeover insider knowledge?
Richard Keys is at it again.
He has an unhealthy obsession with Newcastle United, a bit like other strange characters such as Simon Jordan.
Some have suggested that it is just a calculated tactic because like a moth to the flame, even though Newcastle fans know Richard Keys is just after attention, they can’t help responding to him on social media etc raising his (Keys’) profile. A bit like Jordan in his role as a media pundit, he knows he will get a reaction when repeatedly attacking Newcastle fans and bigging up Mike Ashley.
Back at the end of June this year, Richard Keys predictably stuck the knife in on both Rafa Benitez and the Newcastle fans, after it was finally confirmed he wouldn’t be staying on at St James Park.
Keys said Newcastle were better off without Rafa and that the Spaniard was totally unrealistic with his plans for how he would progress Newcastle United, that they would have threatened Mike Ashley’s intelligent and professional running of NUFC etc etc.
Richard Keys also indicated that he had insider knowledge that Newcastle fans could expect an exciting announcement of a replacement for Benitez.
Almost three weeks later we got Steve Bruce.
I think it is safe to say we have found out we shouldn’t take Richard Keys too seriously with his claims. Just look back in August 2018 (see below) when he told us that we could expect to see a load of Newcastle fans prosecuted for allegedly breaking the law in abusing him on social media. Needless to say, that was the last we heard of that.
However, going back to his celebration of helping to get rid of Rafa Benitez (Richard Keys no doubt will think he played some part in it because that’s what people such as him are like, they believe they are influencers and people take notice of what he/they say), he also made claims about an imminent Newcastle United takeover.
Keys said that he had talked to bidders (see below) looking to buy Newcastle United and they were the most likely to be successful ahead of the Bin Zayed Group, had been doing due diligence for some time, plus one thing for sure, they didn’t want Rafa Benitez!
When Newcastle had won their two games in the opening 12 weeks of the season, Richard Keys had crawled out from under his stone to use them as proof of him being right and Newcastle fans being wrong. No surprise then that he did the same this past weekend after West Ham, saying: ‘Nice to see Steve Bruce quietly proving that not only Benitez can manage Newcastle.’
However, more interestingly/bizarrely, Keys then followed up on Monday with the cryptic but obvious; ‘Getting the feeling from what I’m hearing that this could yet turn out to be a very good week for Newcastle fans.’
I say obvious because as pretty much all Newcastle fans have also assumed in reacting on social media or elsewhere, Richard Keys is clearly hinting at insider knowledge of imminent Newcastle United takeover movement.
A bit like a broken clock he has to be right about something eventually.
Could this be the one…?
Richard Keys on Twitter – 4 November 2019:
“Getting the feeling from what I’m hearing that this could yet turn out to be a very good week for Newcastle fans.”
Richard Keys on Twitter – 3 November 2019:
“Nice to see Steve Bruce quietly proving that not only Benitez can manage Newcastle.”
Richard Keys responding to Newcastle fans via Twitter – 30 June 2019:
“Wait for the replacement (for Rafa Benitez) announcement.
“Your club (Newcastle United) is buoyant – financially stable.
“Your owner (Mike Ashley) tired of Rafa’s constant moaning and no one in their right mind gives the manager financial control.
“Rafa won’t get a better job than he had. Newcastle will power on
“I don’t think the Arabic (Bin Zayed Group) bid is favourite.
“To the best of my knowledge there’s another bid that’s more likely.
“They’ve been looking at the books for quite some time now.
“By the way. I don’t think either bidder wanted to keep Rafa.
“I know for sure the group I’ve spoken to didn’t want Rafa.
“I suggested Gerrard to them. He’d set the place alight.”
Richard Keys writing on his personal blog -13 August 2018:
“Incidentally, the vile abuse you Geordies poured my way last week has led to one or two Police investigations. I’m fairly certain charges will follow.
“I’m always happy to exchange views – but let’s try and keep it out of the playground shall we?
“You do yourselves and your wonderful club a dis-service.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]