Andy Carroll ruled out for Newcastle United now with new injury – Friday night update
Andy Carroll is ruled out of the Manchester City game.
An exclusive on Friday night revealing, to the surprise of absolutely nobody, that the striker has picked up a new injury.
It is The Mail who have broken the story and they say Andy Carroll will be missing for an unknown period of time due to a rib injury he has picked up in training. The report saying that the club don’t know as yet how serious the new/latest injury is.
The signing of Andy Carroll is turning out just as farcical as so many fans predicted.
Newcastle lost their only two goalscorers in the summer as Mike Ashley didn’t even try to keep Rondon and/or Perez at the club.
Instead, he was more than happy for the pair and Rafa Benitez to leave, so he would then be free to pursue his own transfer agenda.
Replacing the goalscorers with a £40m purchase of a striker (Joelinton) who had experienced his best ever league season when previously scoring eight goals in the very weak Austrian league, along with the permanently injured/unfit Carroll who has now started three league games in the past 22 months.
Many supporters seeing the Andy Carroll signing as a PR stunt and attempt to distract from the fact he had refused to allow proper team strengthening in the summer.
Those fears realised with only seven brief sub appearances totalling 124 minutes for Andy Carroll.
Only rock bottom Watford having scored less goals than Newcastle with over a third of the season gone.
A journalist close to Steve Bruce (Luke Edwards of The Telegraph) revealed (see below) in late September that the NUFC medical staff believed Andy Carroll would be in no position to start a game until after Christmas at the earliest, due to the ankle injury he was recovering from when he joined Newcastle United in August, never mind predictably picking up further injuries.
Carroll has also suffered a groin injury this season despite playing so few minutes and now 10 weeks after that September exclusive, sure enough there is no chance of Andy Carroll starting a game in the near future.
The signing of Carroll might have made sense if at a club where they already had a number of reliable goalscorers BUT Newcastle were/are most definitely not that club.
The Mag – 24 September 2019:
Andy Carroll stepped onto the pitch for the first time (second time around) in a Newcastle United shirt on Saturday.
However, despite Newcastle so lacking when it came to goal threat, Steve Bruce only risked putting him on with eight minutes to go.
Anybody thinking Andy Carroll would rapidly move on from there, now looks sadly mistaken.
The striker has only started three league games in the past 20 months and West Ham didn’t even offer Carroll a new deal despite investing a fortune in him, for minimal return.
The final straw being when he picked up a serious ankle injury which he is still recovering from now.
Tuesday morning has brought a new exclusive, saying there is no realistic chance of Andy Carroll starting any games before the new year.
The exclusive should be reliable as it comes from Luke Edwards who is very close to Steve Bruce.
The man from The Telegraph having blindly defended and pushed Steve Bruce’s credentials whilst doing everything he can to rubbish Rafa Benitez, claiming that money was the big reason why Rafa left Newcastle, not the total lack of ambition and unwillingness by Ashley to allow the much-needed big input on which players should be signed.
Which leaves us with this massive mess, a head coach who isn’t up to the job and put under even more massive pressure by Mike Ashley and others deciding to replace the two top goalscorers with a £40m young striker with no goalscoring pedigree and a 30 year old who is never available to start games.
Luke Edwards says in the exclusive that club medical staff think Andy Carroll won’t be able to start a game until after Christmas and indeed, Edwards says that the expert advice is ‘that could still be the situation in three to four months’ time’, which takes us through to maybe only three months of the season left and Andy Carroll still not able to start a game.
Steve Bruce has already took a massive risk on Allan Saint-Maximin when playing him against Spurs only 48 hours after returning to full training, that gamble a disaster when ASM was then ruled out for far longer after breaking down.
However, the man from The Telegraph insists the head coach won’t do the same with the 30 year old ‘Bruce is a huge admirer of Carroll and would love to be able to make him the focal point of the team’s offensive play but knows he must be patient and will not do anything that puts his centre forward at risk.’
The report did have one positive note, saying that Sean Longstaff will be available to play on Sunday against Leicester after recovering from his own ankle injury.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]