Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Official announcement by Italian club confirms signing of Achraf Lazaar

3 weeks ago
Share

Achraf Lazaar is on the move again.

The left-sided defender moving out on deadline day on loan.

Cosenza FC have revealed the deal in an official announcement on Monday afternoon.

The Serie B club say that Achraf Lazaar is now contracted on loan to them until 30 June 2020.

No mention of any option to buy.

News of the move was first claimed on Sunday (see below) by Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio.

The Italian transfer window closes at 7pm tonight.

With Rolando Aarons announced earlier today as off to Wycombe on loan, we wait to see whether the likes of Henri Saivet, Jamie Sterry and Jack Colback get moves today. All three left out of Newcastle’s official 25 man Premier League squad.

Cosenza FC Official Announcement:

‘The Cosenza Football Club announces that it has reached an agreement with the Newcastle United Football Club for the acquisition of the right to the sports performances of Achraf Lazaar.

Born in Casablanca on January 22nd 1992, binds to the rossoblù club on a temporary basis until June 30th 2020.

He grew up playing football in the youth sectors of Raja Casablanca before and Venegono and Varese, once he arrived in Italy, he played in the red and white line up until December 2014, collecting 37 appearances in Serie B.

After moving to Palermo, he won the promotion in Serie A with the rosanero, contributing with 14 attendance fees, and then taking the field in the top flight 59 times in two seasons three networks.

In 2016 the sale to Newcastle, a Premier League club, with a five-year contract.

This experience is interspersed with the first loan pass to Benevento in the 2017/2018 season, then in the one after (2018/19) Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship. He has 12 appearances in the Moroccan national team.

From today he is a new soccer player for Cosenza!’

The Mag – 31 August 2019:

Ahead of pre-season training when Newcastle United were manager-less, Achraf Lazaar said he was only thinking about getting his chance at NUFC after Rafa Benitez had departed.

Italian media having asked him (see below) whether he would be coming back to play in Italy this season.

When Steve Bruce was then appointed as head coach two weeks later, Achraf Lazaar must have been further encouraged after the then Sheffield Wednesday said last season how impressed he had been when the left-sided defender turned out briefly for him on loan, before injury intervened.

However, the reality was that Achraf Lazaar found himself to be one of five senior players not to make the official 25 man senior NUFC Premier League squad.

Surprisingly, Newcastle United don’t appear to have really pushed to get deals sorted ASAP for the five, with Colback, Sterry, Aarons, Saivet and Lazaar, now only 48 hours away from pretty much all the windows closing, that would/could have offered first team football in these coming months.

English leagues One and Two, Scotland, Germany, France and Italy, amongst others, all see their windows close on Monday (2 September).

However, finally it looks as though at least one of the quintet has been sorted out, with Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio reporting that Achraf Lazaar has arrived at Cosenza with a loan deal agreed with Newcastle.

If the medical goes through without a problem, then at least one player sorted.

However, any lessening of the NUFC wage bill will surely be minimal, as Cosenza were playing  third tier football as recently as 2018 and after promotion finished mid-table in Serie B last season.

Compared to England, the Italian leagues are far weaker once you get past the top clubs, with average gates of 7,000 and minimal revenues from elsewhere, Cosenza will only be able to cover a small part of Lazaar’s wages.

With two years still left on his five year Newcastle contract, there appears to be all but zero chance of NUFC getting the player off their books unless they pay him off.

Achraf Lazaar talking on 3 July 2019 to Calciomercato:

“I have finished my holidays and now I go back to Newcastle (for pre-season).

“In the coming days, I will start training for the new season.

“Will I go back to Italy?

“Now there is nothing.

“I think only of Newcastle.

“Genoa? There was a concrete interest but in the past.”

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2019 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks