Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Mohamed Diame wins the internet with message to Michael Owen – No more to say

2 weeks ago
Share

Mohamed Diame loved it at Newcastle United.

Rafa Benitez buying the midfielder back in 2016 for £5m thanks to a contract clause.

The player proving great value as he played a full part in instant promotion back to the Premier League and also in maintaining that top tier place in these last two seasons.

Making 103 appearances in the three NUFC seasons, Mohamed Diame was desperate to stay.

However, it wasn’t to be and Diame left, making this final goodbye:

“I’d just like to say I have loved every minute of my time here, once a magpie always a magpie.”

Moving to the Saudi Pro League, their season has just started and the former Newcastle player started both league games  so far for Al Ahli, a win and a defeat.

However, it appears that it wasn’t just idle talk back in June when Mohamed Diame said ‘Once a magpie always a magpie’ on his departure.

Clearly still monitoring events at his former club, the one-time NUFC player has seen the embarrassing goings on this week, as the new Michael Owen book has been serialised and Owen has slagged off the club, the fans and Alan Shearer.

Some people take a lot of words to say nothing.

However, Mohamed Diame has just needed the three to say everything from his(***) Twitter account:

***UPDATE: Apologies but I was always under the impression that this was Diame’s official Twitter account even though it wasn’t blue ticked (and there was no other blue-ticked Diame account), as it wasn’t ran like your typical fake account, just used sparingly and nothing out of the ordinary…until now.

Looks like we have been duped, though we are not the only ones, as the ‘Mohamed Diame’ message has already got over 600 retweets and over 2,500 likes.

Still a lot of people claiming it is genuine but now official club photographer Serena Taylor has intervened, even though she follows this ‘Mohamed Diame’ Twitter account, she now says it is fake.

The perils of modern publishing/technology…

The Mag – 6 June 2019:

On Wednesday, the club confirmed that Mohamed Diame will no longer be a Newcastle player once his current contract ends on 30 June.

The midfielder one of 11 players not offered new terms, although most  of them hadn’t made it as far as the first team squad.

Diame needed to make 25 Premier League starts to trigger an automatic one year contract extension but the club/Rafa seemingly ensured that wouldn’t be the case.

The player falling one short on 24 PL starts, having been named in the team for all of the first 21 games of the season. Whilst injury played a part, Mohamed Diame only started three more but was named on the bench eight times.

The midfielder turns 32 in eight days time and I think that best for both parties that he moves on.

After the club’s statement yesterday, Mohamed Diame then sent out his own brief emotional message to Newcastle fans via twitter:

“I’d just like to say I have loved every minute of my time here, once a magpie always a magpie.”

In the overall analysis, I would say Mohamed Diame has done ok at Newcastle United.

A £5m signing from Hull who had just been promoted, a clause allowing Newcastle to sign a midfielder who had spent all but that promotion season in the Premier League during his time in England.

His league record for Newcastle shows:

2016/17 – 3 goals and 3 assists

2017/18 – 2 goals and 0 assists

2018/19 – 0 goals and 0 assists

Considering he had scored 10 goals and got 4 assists for Hull City the previous season, that Championship return for Newcastle was disappointing. The comedy goal at Brighton probably the highlight of that Diame season.

The high point at NUFC for the midfielder was the run-in last season, Newcastle beating the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Leicester and Chelsea.

Interesting to see where Mohamed Diame ends up next but best of luck wherever that may be.

Manager Rafa Benítez said in the official Newcastle United statement on Wednesday (5 June) that confirmed 11 players wouldn’t be offered new contracts:

“I would like to say thank you to all the players leaving the club this summer.

“Mo has been a great servant to Newcastle United in his three years here.

“He has given us a lot on and off the pitch and we wish him well for the future.

“The players from the Academy have also given their best to the club over many years.

“We thank each of them and wish them good luck with the next step in their career.”

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2019 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks