Mike Ashley set to meet Peter Kenyon to talk abut Newcastle United takeover – Report
It is 36 hours since this (latest) Peter Kenyon trying to buy Newcastle United story broke.
Difficult to believe it was only Thursday night after you have waded through all the media stuff that has followed, most of it just rehashing what has already been said by others.
There was two elements to the original breaking news in The Mail report.
There was the now much talked about 46 page brochure that had been sent to investors by Peter Kenyon and GACP Sports.
Then there was the bid of £300m for Newcastle United, with The Mail saying Mike Ashley had received the offer and would decide by the 6 October what he was going to do.
Predictably, the overwhelming attention has been paid to the brochure, as it contained so many strange and often inaccurate details.
However, the brochure was obviously put together some time ago and there have been some claims that it might be a bit of a red herring in terms of being pivotal in whether this is indeed a genuine attempt to buy the club or not.
In other words, is the part of the story that said an actual £300m offer had been made by Peter Kenyon and friends to Mike Ashley, worthy of a bit more consideration than it has had?
There has been an update now from The Mail and they insist that Peter Kenyon and GACP Sports are serious about the bid they are leading to try and buy Newcastle United.
They say that Peter Kenyon has held talks with various potential investors/backers in America since the failed bid last winter for NUFC, when Kenyon wasn’t able to get the backing/finance he needed.
The newspaper say their information is that amongst the people Peter Kenyon had spoken to, was MSD partners, who are now set to buy Sunderland, Kenyon’s discussions with MSD said to have broken down before any formal offer was made to Mike Ashley. With MSD deciding instead to make an alternative and much cheaper bid for League One Sunderland.
After Peter Kenyon’s new approach and offer, The Mail say that their information is that Mike Ashley has now indicated he is willing to meet and talk to Peter Kenyon about the offer that as been made.
Two big boxes that need ticking are the valuation, with Ashley still seeing the club valued at £350m rather than this new £300m offer. Whilst just as importantly, or even more so, the NUFC owner is said to want to see proof of funds before anything else can happen.
On the positive side of things, Ashley has reportedly indicated that he would accept a structured payment deal of some kind and that he sees Peter Kenyon as credible.
All Newcastle fans will be sceptical/cynical because of all the false dawns these past 12 years.
The first thing they need to be convinced of is that Mike Ashley for the first time is willing to sell Newcastle United and at a market price. If the NUFC owner is indeed a proper willing seller for the first time, then no reason why a deal can’t be done with Peter Kenyon and friends, or indeed the ‘other’ potential buyers that journalists continue to insist are actively trying to buy the club as well.
If you are a better man (or woman), then your money would be undoubtedly be on us having this same conversation in September 2020 with the latest exclusive on a Newcastle United takeover. However, whatever you think as to the credibility of this latest Peter Kenyon episode, one day we will wake up and Mike Ashley will be gone.
Try not to have too many nightmares in the meantime.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]