It was claimed Jack Colback would refuse to go out on loan – Case proved?
It is almost a month now since Jack Colback knew for sure he wouldn’t be playing a competitive match for Newcastle United in 2019.
Yet he is still here at St James Park.
Steve Bruce not including the midfielder in his 25 man senior Premier League squad, the only players (as well as Under 21s) allowed to play for NUFC until January at the very earliest, when managers/head coaches are allowed to change their official PL squads.
Almost three weeks ago, the Northern Echo claimed (see below) that Jack Colback was refusing to go out on loan.
It sounds incomprehensible to fans that a player would choose to pick up wages for doing nothing, rather than going elsewhere to actual play.
However, all the signs point to the newspaper being proved correct, as most remaining transfer windows closed on Monday, with no loan (or otherwise) deal confirmed.
You would think a temporary move to Scotland or England’s League One or Two would have happened yesterday, wherever he would have gone Newcastle would have had to pay a significant portion of the wages, but at least they would have been saving some cash AND Jack Colback would be earning his money.
However, he has got form for it, when Rafa Benitez told him he wasn’t wanted after Newcastle returned to the Premier League in summer 2017, Colback also refused to go out on loan. It was a similar case in January 2018 until at the very last part of that window he went out to Forest until the end of that season. At the time it was claimed a big reason was that Jack Colback insisted he didn’t want to leave the north east, which makes it a bit limited when it is impossible for him to go back to Sunderland, making Boro the only other league team he could have supposedly been willing to join.
So many ridiculous things under Mike Ashley and the length of contracts is just baffling for such average players, Colback in the final season of a six year one, Lazaar still got two seasons of a five year one left and Aarons the same, plus Henri Saivet with two seasons of a five and a half year contract left. All players Newcastle find it impossible to move on permanently.
If Jack Colback doesn’t fancy even leaving the north east, little chance then that he will be keen on the few countries where a transfer could still be possible – Portugal, Bulgaria, Mexico, Argentina, Australia etc etc.
Colback isn’t good enough for the Premier League but he should be insisting on going somewhere to play football and be willing to make whatever compromises needed to achieve that. Pocketing his wages from Newcastle United for doing nothing, isn’t something you would expect of somebody who has supported the club from being a kid.
The Mag – 16 August 2019:
After Steve Bruce named his 25 man Premier League squad last week, Jack Colback was reported to be stunned when he wasn’t included.
The midfielder feeling that he had been led to believe he would make the cut.
Jack Colback played in the first three friendlies until injured for the final two, with 186 minutes in the pre-season games, only nine players featured more than the midfielder.
However, with 27 senior outfield players for only 22 positions, Jack Colback found himself excluded, along with Jamie Sterry, Achraf Lazaar, Rolando Aarons and Henri Saivet.
What it means is that none of the five can play in the Premier League until January at the earliest and only then, if Steve Bruce makes changes to his PL squad.
In terms of potential moves, the Championship sticks to the same transfer windows as the Premier League but until early September players can still be bought by or loaned to League One and League Two clubs, as well as clubs in Scotland and most other European Leagues.
No mention of Sterry but The Northern Echo say that Saivet and Lazaar are expected to find new clubs in the remaining time, whilst a move to Holland or Belgium is believed to be on the cards for Rolando Aarons.
However, the report says that Jack Colback is going to refuse to go out on loan ‘in the hope of forcing his way back on to Newcastle United’s squad list in January’, however, The Northern Echo point out that Colback would only be able to potentially play in the League Cup match(es…) in that time period.
We have been here before, when Rafa Benitez made clear to Jack Colback in summer 2017 after promotion that he had no chance of getting in the Premier League squad but refused to go out on loan. At the time it was said one of the reasons was that Colback didn’t want to leave the north east, which kind of limits the options.
Right at the end of the January 2018 transfer window, Newcastle managed to persuade him to go to Forest on loan and he returned there for the full 2018/19 season.
If Jack Colback has got any ambition to try and change minds and get another chance at Newcastle, surely it would impress everybody a lot more if he went on loan for the first half of the season and did well at another club, rather than stay and pick up sizeable wages for doing nothing?
It will be ironic if he chooses to sit and do nothing at Newcastle United when he could be helping out former club Sunderland, who look set for a season of struggle to get anywhere near promotion after drawing against Oxford and Ipswich. However, he left on really bad terms and the mackems aren’t keen on him to say the least.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]