Manchester United have £30m+ offer for Sean Longstaff turned down after talks – The Athletic
Manchester United interest in San Longstaff has bubbled away all summer.
The club said to be focused now on trying to sign young British players after conceding that their transfer policy was failing, of buying big name overseas players.
With over £140m spent on Daniel James, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire, this new claimed transfer direction has been borne out.
However, despite repeated claims of talks having been held between Newcastle United and Man Utd, nothing having happened with Sean Longstaff, so far.
However, Thursday morning has seen The Athletic report that Newcastle United and Manchester United had restarted talks earlier this week.
The upshot being that according to The Athletic, a ‘verbal offer of more than £30m’ was made for the 21 year old.
The report says ‘Newcastle gave a fairly firm rejection, so it doesn’t seem like a deal will be done’, here’s hoping so.
News this morning though that Lukaku will sign on today at Inter Milan with Manchester United receiving £73m for the striker.
It will be interesting/worrying if they then came back and offered a large chunk of that to Mike Ashley on deadline day.
Sean Longstaff had eased his way back in after injury and is now back to full fitness, plus he reminded us of his goalscoring potential with a strike from outside the box at Hibernian.
Asked 15 days ago about the possibility of selling Sean Longstaff, Steve Bruce declared:
“We don’t want to sell our best young players, that is for sure.
“So that won’t happen (Sean Longstaff being sold).
“I’m very confident.”
Pessimists amongt the NUFC fanbase remembering Alan Pardew saying much the same before Andy Carroll was sold eight and a half years ago.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]