Gianluca Di Marzio reports Achraf Lazaar arrival at Serie B club
Ahead of pre-season training when Newcastle United were manager-less, Achraf Lazaar said he was only thinking about getting his chance at NUFC after Rafa Benitez had departed.
Italian media having asked him (see below) whether he would be coming back to play in Italy this season.
When Steve Bruce was then appointed as head coach two weeks later, Achraf Lazaar must have been further encouraged after the then Sheffield Wednesday said last season how impressed he had been when the left-sided defender turned out briefly for him on loan, before injury intervened.
However, the reality was that Achraf Lazaar found himself to be one of five senior players not to make the official 25 man senior NUFC Premier League squad.
Surprisingly, Newcastle United don’t appear to have really pushed to get deals sorted ASAP for the five, with Colback, Sterry, Aarons, Saivet and Lazaar, now only 48 hours away from pretty much all the windows closing, that would/could have offered first team football in these coming months.
English leagues One and Two, Scotland, Germany, France and Italy, amongst others, all see their windows close on Monday (2 September).
However, finally it looks as though at least one of the quintet has been sorted out, with Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio reporting that Achraf Lazaar has arrived at Cosenza with a loan deal agreed with Newcastle.
If the medical goes through without a problem, then at least one player sorted.
However, any lessening of the NUFC wage bill will surely be minimal, as Cosenza were playing third tier football as recently as 2018 and after promotion finished mid-table in Serie B last season.
Compared to England, the Italian leagues are far weaker once you get past the top clubs, with average gates of 7,000 and minimal revenues from elsewhere, Cosenza will only be able to cover a small part of Lazaar’s wages.
With two years still left on his five year Newcastle contract, there appears to be all but zero chance of NUFC getting the player off their books unless they pay him off.
Achraf Lazaar talking on 3 July 2019 to Calciomercato:
“I have finished my holidays and now I go back to Newcastle (for pre-season).
“In the coming days, I will start training for the new season.
“Will I go back to Italy?
“Now there is nothing.
“I think only of Newcastle.
“Genoa? There was a concrete interest but in the past.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]