Sam Allardyce turns down Mike Ashley as Newcastle United scrape ever deeper barrel
It has been revealed that Mike Ashley has offered the Newcastle United job to Sam Allardyce, only for Big Sham to turn him down.
The Mail say they were told by Ashley’s people (‘sources close to the club’) that the offer was made at the weekend after talks between representatives of the NUFC owner and out of work manager.
However, despite being out of football after Everton got rid of him 14 months ago, Sam Allardyce still turned Mike Ashley down.
The report says that he turned the job offer down, due to the ‘club’s recruitment policy’ and it being made clear to Allardyce that he would have ‘little if any say over signings’ if coming back to St James Park.
Sam Allardyce was appointed shortly before Mike Ashley took over Newcastle United in 2007 and embarked on a disastrous transfer window that sowed the seeds for relegation the following (2008/09) season, as well as triggering Ashley’s deep aversion to signing players of a certain age.
Fully 12 years ago, Sam Allardyce recruited both Viduka and Geremi on wages of £100,000+ a week, as well as other players in and around (or over) the 30 year old mark, such as Faye, Cacapa and Beye, whilst massive five year £60,000 a week contracts were given to Smith and Barton, both of who would later leave for nothing. Jose Enrique would prove to be the only lasting success of a very expensive window, which undoubtedly plays a large part in the refusal to pay Premier League level wages in the present day.
Ironically, Allardyce’s disastrous NUFC transfer window of Summer 2007, leading to the conditions where he has now turned down Ashley’s offer.
The newspaper says they have also been told that Kevin Nolan would have been Fat Sam’s assistant if he’d taken the job.
News of which then gives us perfect understanding of what prompted Nolan to give such an embarrassing interview to Talksport last week, blaming Rafa Benitez and defending Mike Ashley with some quite staggering claims that bore little/no relation to reality.
The Mail give a very distorted recount of history from when Sam Allardyce was at Newcastle in 2007:
‘While Allardyce made a strong start, securing five wins and two draws from his first nine Premier League matches, a poor run at Christmas and growing discontent among some supporters invited Ashley to endear himself to the fans by bringing back Keegan.’
The ‘poor run at Christmas’ actually started in October!
In 13 games Newcastle only won two and the football was abysmal. Even the two games won in the three month run were flukes, trailing to Birmingham at home the Magpies came back to win 2-1 with a last minute Beye goal, then beat Fulham away with their only sot of the game – a Barton penalty in the final minute.
Moving to the present day and talking now about scraping the very bottom of the barrel for Steve Bruce as an alternative now, The Mail get it wrong once again:
‘But Bruce is not winning any popularity contests in Newcastle either as a former Sunderland manager, with some fans calling for a boycott of the opening fixture of the Premier League season against Arsenal at St James’ on August 11.’
Not one Newcastle fan I know has said that Steve Bruce shouldn’t get the job because he was employed by Sunderland previously. Instead it is his dismal Premier League record that means he should not even be remotely considered, as not one other PL club would look at him now if they needed a manager. A record of one win in four in his Premier League management career, far worse than JFK, Pardew, McClaren and Allardyce, never mind the massive gap to the PL career of Rafa Benitez and Kevin Keegan.
As for The Mail linking the Newcastle fans planned boycott with Steve Bruce, this is completely misleading. The boycott and protests are 100% about Mike Ashley, not Steve Bruce, his seemingly imminent appointment simply more proof of Ashley’s neglect and malevolence towards the fans.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]