Joelinton has now arrived at Newcastle United – Photo
Last Thursday, German media said that they understood that Joelinton was set to be announced as a Newcastle United player.
However, with the squad still away in China as well as Head Coach and media staff, it maybe always looked a little premature.
The much talked about potential signing had dragged on for some time but the smart money said that whilst the deal may indeed have been finalised last week, it wouldn’t be announced until this week when staff would be back in place.
Especially those NUFC media staff whose job it would be to push out the message that at last the club had made a signing…
Tuesday afternoon has now seen eagle eyed Newcastle fans visiting St James Park, spotting the Hoffenheim striker, ahead of his imminent signing.
Sky Sports had already reported that Joelinton was taking his medical.
— Kris Kross (@KRISKROS5) July 23, 2019
— NUFC Updates (@NUFCUpdates1) July 23, 2019
Spotted: Joelinton at St James' Park!https://t.co/KeGdxCjE8c
— The Chronicle (@ChronicleNUFC) July 23, 2019
The Mag – 18 July 2019:
Joelinton is set to be announced as a Newcastle United player on Thursday according to Sport1 in Germany.
Today they are posting it as an exclusive, saying that a transfer fee of 53m euros (£48m!) has been agreed and that they understand it will be formally announced today.
It was Sport1 who first broke the Newcastle interest in Joelinton back on the 23 February (see HERE) and at the time NUFC fans predictably thought it was just the usual daft speculation, but there is always an exception to the rule.
Wednesday morning bringing widespread reporting in German media (see below) saying that a move for the striker was imminent and that he had been pulled out of a friendly to be played yesterday afternoon.
Hoffenheim the officially confirmed this and said Joelinton was in talks with a Premier League club and as cynical as we all are, it definitely was Newcastle who were they talking about, unless every media are report had the wrong club.
Sport1 say that the only final detail to be agreed was length of contract, with the striker wanting three years and Newcastle four years. To be honest it would be surprising if Mike Ashley was wanting four years as the usual minimum is five years, unless for older players such as Ki and Fernandez who only got two year deals last summer.
You can understand certainly why three years would be seen as too short because particularly if Joelinton is a hit, then very quickly you would need to be sorting a new extended deal.
However, going the other extreme has massively backfired due to Mike Ashley’s insistence on overly long contracts. Riviere was a six year deal and Colback the same, his sixth year just coming up…
Meanwhile Henri Saivet is still here and only three and a half years into a five and a half year contract, whilst both Lazaar and Aarons have two of five years left.
As for Joelinton, a lot of people have questioned his stats, seven goals and five assists in 25 Bundesliga starts (3 as a sub) last season.
However, it has been pretty much totally missed that he hasn’t been playing as a centre forward, Hoffenheim play Croatian Andrej Kramaric as their central striker and he got 17 goals in 28 league starts last season.
Joelinton has been playing on the right side of an attacking three so maybe we should be considering him more of a replacement for Ayoze Perez than Salomon Rondon.
Perez started 34 PL games and came off the bench 3 times, involved in 14 goals – scoring 12 and 2 assists. So for a 22 year old, Joelinton’s direct involvement in 12 goals (scoring 7 and 5 assists) in 9 less starts than Perez looks very decent, especially playing at a standard similar to the Premier League.
The Mag – Wednesday 17 July 2019:
Early on Wednesday afternoon, it was reported in Germany that Joelinton was discussing personal terms with Newcastle United.
Kicker broke the story (see below) and then other German media appeared to back up the initial report.
Kicker claimed that Joelinton had been pulled from the Hoffenheim squad ahead of this afternoon’s pre-season friendly against SSV Jahn Regensburg to allow the deal to be concluded.
A transfer fee of 40m euros (£36m) being reported to be the cost of Newcastle buying the 22 year old.
After fans of the club asked where Joelinton was after he didn’t appear to be amongst the Hoffenheim squad today, the Bundesliga club were surprisingly open in answering the queries from fans.
Using their official Twitter account, Hoffenheim confirmed that the Brazilian striker had indeed been pulled from today’s squad for the friendly.
They stated that ‘He is in concrete negotiations with a Premier League club’…
Joe ist nicht da, er steht in konkreten Verhandlungen mit einem Premiere League Klub. Kann sein, dass er uns verlässt.
— TSG Hoffenheim (@tsghoffenheim) July 17, 2019
Whilst they didn’t name which club, which would have been unprofessional, it is very unlikely that the German media have go things so wrong, when it was they who first broke the news.
It may come as a shock to Newcastle fans, which shouldn’t be the case with no signings so far and being prepared to sell players such as Ayoze Perez for £30m, but it does appear that NUFC are going to smash their transfer record.
Quite ridiculous really when Mike Ashley refused to back Rafa Benitez in any tangible way.
The Mag – Earlier today (Wednesday 17 July 2019):
At the start of the week, both The Mail and Telegraph said that Newcastle United had a deal in place to sign Joelinton.
That a transfer would happen once Steve Bruce was appointed as NUFC Head Coach.
Steve Bruce was announced as Newcastle United Head Coach this morning and now German media are saying a transfer is set to happen.
Hoffenheim have a friendly this afternoon and Kicker are reporting that Joelinton has been pulled from the squad.
They state that he is now discussing personal terms with Newcastle United ahead of the signing being announced.
The price Newcastle are set to pay is 40m euros (£36m) according to the German sports magazine, a figure which is in line with the previous media claims. Claims which Newcastle fans had always dismissed…
Wednesday saw an embarrassing first pre-season friendly as Newcastle lost 4-0, indeed Wolves could have scored double figures.
NUFC had zero threat up front and not a shot on target worthy of the name.
The 22 year old Brazilian striker was claimed to be set to be the first summer signing and quite bizarre if this does now happen, considering Mike Ashley refused Rafa Benitez and net spend whatsoever.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]