Confirmed that Monday morning Bin Zayed Group takeover ‘statement’ is from BZG Managing Director
As if this Summer couldn’t get more bizarre and stressful, Monday morning brought an update from the Bin Zayed Group on the Newcastle United Takeover.
Headlined as a ‘statement’ by the media, it was made public via Peter Redding via social media.
Peter Redding is a sports presenter working for Capital Radio in the UAE and he has brought small updates from the Bin Zayed Group previously, as he is in contact with them on a regular basis.
Monday morning saw Peter Redding (who is also a Newcastle fan) reveal that he had spoken to officials from the Bin Zayed Group once again and said that they have been keen to make clear their position.
Peter Redding via Twitter earlier this Monday morning:
Following a meeting with Bin Zayed Group officials they would like to put on record the following information for NUFC fans:
“Both parties have worked diligently in finalising a deal, none more so than ourselves.
“We have completed every aspect required in a takeover process.
“Press claims of no bids or Premier League approval processes are simply untrue.
“The current owners have cooperated amicably throughout this process and if a deal is not forthcoming it will not be due to lack of effort from both parties.”
Not surprisingly, it was met with puzzlement by Newcastle fans for a number of reasons.
Obviously the main one was the actual message, fans wondering why the deal is seemingly set to probably not happen, despite the statement claiming both parties are doing their best for it to be concluded, with also the indication that if it has reached a certain point, then surely the most important things such as the price tag, have already been agreed.
As well as that main and most important confusion, it was also a big talking point for supporters as to why it wasn’t the BZG putting out the statement themselves AND why was it going out on Twitter, rather than direct to media.
This is especially so when back in May, the Managing Director of the BZG, Midhat Kidwai, put out two official statements (see below) direct to the media.
Responding to the confusion, Peter Redding has now via Twitter clarified on Monday lunchtime the reasoning of BZG, as well as confirming that the quotes this morning had indeed been from Midhat Kidwait, the Bin Zayed Group CEO/MD:
“The BZG quote is official from the CEO.
“It was deemed preferential to release through social media.
“Media sources will then pick it up, more importantly fans would initially.”
So the reasoning behind the decision said to be because it would be available to Newcastle fans straight away, which then begs the question why not do it via the BZG social media?
The whole thing coming over as very amateurish and made up on the spur of the moment, along with the confusing nature of the message as well.
Not exactly convincing anybody that this a Newcastle United Takeover set to happen at any time.
As always, Mike Ashley is staying silent on this along with everything else that matters, which is shocking to say the least.
The only updates we have had from Mike Ashley/NUFC have been to tell us season tickets were going up in price and that supporters would pay more for the new NUFC home shirt than any other club’s fans, as well as that statement where Mike Ashley took great delight in saying Rafa Benitez would no longer be manager (statement going out without Rafa being pre-warned).
The statement from Midhat Kidwai on Monday 29 May 2019:
“In consideration of the numerous speculations in regards to the timelines of the acquisition of Newcastle United Football Club by Bin Zayed Group, we feel the need to issue this statement.
“Terms have been agreed between us and Mike Ashley; these terms have been reflected in a document, signed by both parties, which has been forwarded to the Premier League.
“The proof of funds statement was forwarded to Mike Ashley’s lawyers on 17 April 2019.
“The so called fit-and-proper Premier League process is a standard procedure which will take time, and we are doing all we can to assist the Premier League during this process.
“We feel the need to clarify this point in order for the fans and the general public to understand the timelines.”
The statement from Midhat Kidwai on Monday 27 May 2019:
“In response to numerous reports in the world media this morning, we would like to comment as follows.
“We can confirm the representatives of his Highness Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan are in discussions with Mike Ashley and his team about the proposed acquisition of Newcastle United Football Club.
“We view it as an honour to have the opportunity to build on the strong support, history and tradition of the club.
“We have agreed terms and are working hard to complete the transaction at the earliest opportunity.
“Best Regards, Midhat Kidwai, Group Managing Director, Bin Zayed Group.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]