Manchester United bid for Sean Longstaff is imminent – Telegraph
Manchester United are to make an opening offer for Sean Longstaff this week, according to reports on Wednesday morning.
Last week, Sky Sports revealed/claimed (see below) that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was set to start the Man Utd rebuild based on recruiting young players, especially English/British ones.
The Old Trafford club said to set to sign Swansea winger Daniel James, with Newcastle’s 21 midfielder their next target.
Now The Telegraph have followed that up with a report that says talks are taking place to complete a deal for Daniel James, with then a bid to be made this week for Sean Longstaff.
The Telegraph insist that the Manchester United interest is genuine and there is no reason to doubt the newspaper.
The Geordie midfielder only made eight Premier League starts but looked remarkably assured and accomplished, playing in such a key role.
If a bid does come in then of course that doesn’t necessarily mean club and/or player would be saying yes….BUT with the total chaos and lack of surety at Newcastle United, wholly created by Mike Ashley, you can’t be sure of anything.
If Rafa Benitez was sitting on a newly agreed contract then I don’t think any of us would be losing any sleep about potentially not having players such as Sean Longstaff and Salomon Rondon at the club next season. However, we are already seven days into the transfer window and still haven’t got a clue as to who will be manager next season, never mind which players are set to be bought and sold.
In that situation, there is every chance we will have clubs such as Manchester United trying to take advantage.
With the money they have wasted on so many senior players, having a £20m or so punt on Sean Longstaff continuing this year’s rapid progression could be an easy decision. As for the player himself, any such move would instantly set himself and his family up for life.
Plenty of reasons to believe why Sean Longstaff would still turn down such an opportunity but if one of those biggest reasons is Rafa Benitez, then yet more common sense pressure on Mike Ashley to change his resistance to allowing Rafa to get on and run the club properly.
The Telegraph report:
‘Manchester United have opened talks with Swansea over a £15m deal for Daniel James and are ready to make an opening bid for Newcastle’s Sean Longstaff.
(Manchester) United are ready to start their summer spending with the capture of James, the Wales international, with negotiations now underway with the Championship club.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is targeting younger players as he bids to reshape his squad this summer and (Manchester) United are ramping up their interest in the 21-year-old winger.
Swansea want around £15m for James as they bid to raise funds and (Manchester) United are hopeful of agreeing a fee later this week.
(Manchester) United are also set to make an offer for Longstaff in the next 48 hours, in a move which will place further strain on Rafael Benitez’s relationship with the Newcastle hierarchy.
Longstaff has only made 12 appearances in all competitions for the club but his performances have impressed (Manchester) United coaching staff sufficiently enough to make him a top summer target.
He missed the final two months of the campaign with an ankle injury but is expected to be fit for the start of pre-season.
Benitez would be reluctant to lose the midfielder but (Manchester) United’s interest is genuine and developments are expected over the next few days.’
The Mag – 17 May 2019:
Sean Longstaff made a massive impression this past season.
The 21 year old Geordie midfielder made his Premier League debut as a substitute at Anfield on Boxing Day and was unlucky not to score.
He then never looked back after getting his first PL start at Chelsea on 12 January 2019.
Sean Longstaff only managed eight PL starts in total before injury cruelly curtailed his season – but he continued his form when more than holding his own in midfield against the likes of Manchester City and Tottenham.
Well on the way back from injury and set to be ok for pre-season training, in March we saw The Guardian report (see below) that Tottenham have Sean Longstaff as a summer transfer target.
Now Friday morning as seen Manchester United reported as another potential destination.
Sky Sports reporting that Longstaff is under consideration as a summer transfer target as they attempt to rebuild under Solskjaer.
Their pursuit of the brilliant 19 year old Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt as been well publicised and no surprise if their plan gong forward, was to target other young promising players, especially English ones such as the Newcastle United midfielder. Buying older ‘big’ players with even bigger egos has proved to be a disaster for Man Utd, with Pogba and Sanchez leading the way.
Keith Downie covers Newcastle United for Sky Sports and he says Manchester United are interested in Sean Longstaff but at least one advantage is that he has three years left on his contract still.
Sean Longstaff already been compared to another Geordie midfielder, Michael Carrick, who is on Solskjaer’s staff.
It would be a disaster for Newcastle fans if they saw such a promising player leave and it just rubber stamps how essential it is to convince Rafa Benitez to stay.
If the manager sees no point in staying at Mike Ashley’s NUFC, why would any of the decent players?
The Mag – 28 March 2019:
With only 688 minutes of Premier League football behind him, Sean Longstaff is claimed to be a potential summer target for Tottenham.
A report on Tuesday says that Spurs have been represented at games, with the 21 year Newcastle midfielder nominated for the February Premier League player of the month.
Longstaff lost out to Sergio Aguero for that particular award.
The Geordie midfielder has impressed this season against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City.
Whilst the Tottenham scouting team didn’t have to go far to watch Sean Longstaff when he impressed at Wembley against Spurs, NUFC and Longstaff unlucky to lose that one 1-0.
Not surprisingly, the young midfielder has been compared to a former Geordie who turned out for Tottenham,
Spurs paid West Ham £3m for Michael Carrick back in 2004 and then made a £22m profit only two years later when selling him on to Man Utd.
Thursday’s claims have come from The Guardian, who aren’t usually at the worst end of transfer speculation.
Recent years of course have seen Tottenham bring through countless young English players, as well as recruiting them from other clubs, the likes of Alli, Trippier and Dier going on to be England regulars.
Today’s report says that it is looking like a big change of playing staff at Tottenham, including midfielders Wanyama and Eriksen potentially leaving.
The Guardian say that Spurs have been looking at young players for various positions, naming right-back Max Aarons (Norwich) and left-back Kieran Tierney (Celtic), as well as midfielders Sean Longstaff and Harvey Barnes (Leicester).
Obviously I want Newcastle United to keep their best players, especially prospects such as Sean Longstaff, but I would rather have this type of speculation than having nobody worth talking about!
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]