The FA intervene after shameful Newcastle United attempt to bring Peter Beardsley investigation to end
The FA have been forced to act after Newcastle United and Peter Beardsley released statements on Wednesday.
After 14 months of waiting, both Newcastle fans and the players involved, were left shaking their heads, as the club attempted to bring the matter to an end, without revealing what the actual findings had been.
Coordinated statements (see below) from both Peter Beardsley and Newcastle United appeared yesterday lunchtime, the two brief messages simply saying the club and coach were now going their separate ways.
Considering the accusations had been from young players claiming racism and bullying, quite outrageous that Mike Ashley and his minions thought this would be an acceptable route to go down.
Of the mainstream press, BBC Sport were the first ones yesterday to state that not declaring what the actual outcome of the investigation had been, could not be allowed to happen.
This has now been followed by countless newspapers on Thursday morning doing the same.
One exclusive revealed that The FA have now intervened in the matter, The Sun reporting:
‘The FA have got involved after Newcastle failed to announce the findings of their internal investigation into his conduct, which began back in January 2018.
The game’s rulers are refusing to accept the probe being swept under the carpet amid such serious allegations, especially those of racism.
FA chiefs could not interfere while Beardsley’s future was still being resolved.
But following the announcement of Beardsley’s departure, they have told Newcastle to reveal if any of the claims against him have been proven — or they will conduct their own investigation.
‘An FA spokesperson said:
“The allegations made against Peter Beardsley continue to be under consideration by The FA.
“We are not in a position to comment further at this time.”
Peter Beardsley official statement released via his legal representatives – 6 March 2019:
“The time is now right for me to seek a new challenge and I wish the players all the best and the supporters the success they deserve.
“I have always honoured my contractual obligations of confidentiality to the Club and maintained my silence, which has in itself been very difficult.
“I am incredibly grateful for the tremendous support I have received and I look forward to the future.”
Newcastle United official statement – 6 March 2019
“Newcastle United can confirm that Peter Beardsley is no longer employed by the club.
“We are grateful for the contribution Peter has given over the years as a player, coach and ambassador and we wish him well for the future.
“The club will make no further comment at this time.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]