Anti-discrimination charity challenge Newcastle United on farcical outcome of Peter Beardsley investigation
Wednesday saw an outrageous attempt by Newcastle United to draw a line under the 14 month investigation concerning Peter Beardsley.
Beardsley had been on gardening leave since January 2018 after allegations of racism and bullying made by young players.
Coordinated press releases appeared from both NUFC and Peter Beardsley on Wednesday afternoon, confirming that the two had gone their separate ways (see below).
However, the club have not revealed what the actual findings of the investigation are.
Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out have now challenged Newcastle United.
Kick It Out have said that the club have to make public the reasons as to why Peter Beardsley has left the club.
Stating there is a desperate need for the club to be transparent, the charity says it ‘would welcome a swift and informative outcome for all involved.’
If Newcastle United think that this issue is going away without being properly addressed, they had better think again.
BBC Sport report today:
Kick it Out says it is “concerned” Newcastle have not outlined the reasons why Peter Beardsley left the club following racism and bullying claims.
Under-23s coach Beardsley, 58, had been on leave since a club investigation started 14 months ago.
The former Newcastle and England forward has “categorically denied” the claims but the Premier League club have not disclosed their findings.
Kick it Out, an anti-discrimination charity, said it would “encourage” the club to be “transparent” if Beardsley left as a result of the allegations.
Beardsley faced multiple complaints, including one of bullying by 22-year-old academy midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni.
Since Beardsley left the club, the Football Association said: “The allegations made against Peter Beardsley continue to be under consideration by the FA.”
Kick It Out said in a statement: “We are continuing to ascertain what the FA’s investigation includes and would welcome a swift and informative outcome for all involved.”
In 2003, Beardsley and academy director Kenny Wharton faced a Premier League investigation over allegations of bullying made by youth players James Beaumont and Ross Gardner but the case was dismissed.’
Peter Beardsley official statement released via his legal representatives – 6 March 2019:
“The time is now right for me to seek a new challenge and I wish the players all the best and the supporters the success they deserve.
“I have always honoured my contractual obligations of confidentiality to the Club and maintained my silence, which has in itself been very difficult.
“I am incredibly grateful for the tremendous support I have received and I look forward to the future.”
Newcastle United official statement – 6 March 2019
“Newcastle United can confirm that Peter Beardsley is no longer employed by the club.
“We are grateful for the contribution Peter has given over the years as a player, coach and ambassador and we wish him well for the future.
“The club will make no further comment at this time.”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]