There has been a Sky Sports update on Newcastle United’s intentions in this transfer window.
West Ham have been the first club to make their move after the window opened and have signed Samir Nasri after his drugs ban ended.
Meanwhile, Sky Sports say that Rafa Benitez is targeting three signings.
It feels very much deja vu and we could be at the onset of any of the three previous transfer windows.
Keith Downie, who covers NUFC for Sky Sports, says that the Newcastle boss is desperate to bring in a striker, a left-back and a number 10.
Rafa Benitez having wanted better quality in all three positions since promotion back in April 2017.
As for names, Downie says that Rafa wants Stanley N’Soki.
The 19 year old was a target for Newcastle in the summer and whilst he has started six Ligue One games for PSG this season as a back up player, he isn’t looking likely to get regular football in the near future. It would surely though take a very decent offer if Newcastle were to land the exciting young defender, definitely more than Rafa has been allowed (£10m) to spend on any player since promotion.
The Times earlier today put forward Maxime Poundje as a left-back Rafa is interested in, he was previously linked with Newcastle back in December 2016 and the Bordeaux 26 year old would cost considerably less than N’Soki.
The Sky Sports reporter states that talks continue with Atlanta United for Miguel Almiron, a player who would most definitely cost more than the £10m maximum Rafa has been allowed these past three windows on any player.
Initial reports had claimed that there could be a loan with then £15m to be paid in the summer, which always looked very unlikely and beyond optimistic. Atlanta’s president responding to press reports and saying there most definitely wouldn’t be any loan and that bidding starts at around the £23m/£24m mark as a minimum.
If indeed talks are continuing, Newcastle fans will wonder why progress hasn’t been made as yet, with Rafa needing players in as soon as possible to maximise the number of games they will be available for.
As for a striker, Newcastle are desperately reliant on Salomon Rondon and he is only here on loan!
None of the other striking options are suggesting they will be regular goalscorers and things are further complicated by Muto heading off to the Asian Cup after Wednesday night’s match.
Keith Downie doesn’t put forward any names for striker target(s) but there are surely plenty out there who would provide more threat than Rafa’s current options, Rondon excluded of course.
“The proposed takeover of Newcastle United is complicating things to an extent at St James Park.
“Despite that, Rafa Benitez has outlined his need for a left-back, a striker and a new number 10 this month.
“Atlanta United’s Paraguay international Miguel Almiron is his primary target, with talks already under way between the two clubs.
“Almiron can play out wide or behind the striker and, if bought on a permanent transfer, he would break a longstanding club record fee.
“Rafa Benitez also remains keen on PSG left-back Stanley N’Soki, a player he tried to sign in the summer.”