Sky Sports report Newcastle United hoping to sign 4 players and in talks for 2 of them already
Sky Sports are reporting that Newcastle United are hoping to bring in four players before the 11pm deadline on Thursday.
The broadcaster states that Newcastle are already in talks with the respective clubs for two of them.
Antonio Barreca (pictured above) is one the two, with Sky Sports saying that Newcastle want the 23 year old left-back on loan until the end of the season.
After six Ligue 1 appearances earlier in the season, since September Barreca has almost been totally frozen out of the first team picture at Monaco, with only one other Ligue 1 game in October.
The player said to be a replacement for the failed loan deal for Jordan Lukaku.
He has only started 14 league games in these past 32 months, including only the one this season.
As we outlined yesterday (see below) about these two potential signings, very difficult to believe they were anywhere close to the top of any lists of preferred targets that Rafa Benitez sent on to Mike Ashley.
As well as these two, Sky Sports says that Rafa Benitez is also trying to bring in two (unnamed) attacking players.
Last ditch loan deals for Barreca and Samaris I can believe…but credible attacking players arriving needs a major leap of faith.
***Update – Tuesday night has seen news break via AJC/Sky Sports that Miguel Almiron is on his way to Newcastle for a medical after agreeing a transfer fee with Atlanta – read it here.
The Mag – 28 January 2019:
‘Rafa Benitez has constantly said that he would wait and see what would happen in this transfer window, before deciding whether to sign a contract extension.
We have now reached day 28 of 31 and there are only some 87 hours remaining in which to sign players.
You would almost think there had been no intention from the very start to land any of the list of players Rafa Benitez had given Mike Ashley ahead of the window opening.
Surely the writing was on the wall once the first week or so of January went by with zero happening, if there was going to be any positive change in the owner’s pathetic stance of undermining Rafa Benitez, the squad and the fans, then surely work would have been done to ensure signings were lined up to come in and have the best chance of making a difference in as many matches as possible. Certainly in time for that key relegation clash with Cardiff on 19 January.
That game was thankfully won, but it was despite Mike Ashley, rather than with any kind of help for Rafa from the owner.
In these dying days/hours of this disastrous transfer window, two names are still being held up as likely signings.
Media that still slavishly give Mike Ashley positive coverage, suggesting that these potential signings could still convince Rafa Benitez to stay on, as supposedly a sign that the owner is showing he will back the manager with the signings he wants.
The first of the pair is midfielder Andreas Samaris and the midfielder is out of contract in the summer when he turns 30.
A £500,000 fee has been widely reported as being the figure for Newcastle to take him up to the end of the season. Samaris has started once in the league for Benfica this season, only four times last season, then only nine the year before. He has been repeatedly named on the bench so not a case of long-term injuries and if he can’t get a game in the weak Portuguese league, then surely zero chance he could instantly step up to the standard of the Premier League, if ever.
As for the other widely reported target, 23 year old Antonio Barreca has only started seven Ligue 1 games this season, only one since September, and that was in October.
The left sided wing-back can’t get a game for Monaco who are second bottom of Ligue 1, whilst last season he only made three Serie A starts (regularly on bench, not injured) for a mediocre Torino side, before trying his luck in France to try and get a game.
Obviously as fans, you give any signings a chance and hope they will be up to the job, but in reality Newcastle are really scraping the barrel this time if this is the level of signing Rafa Benitez will be ‘backed’ with.
You sadly have to accept, Mike Ashley is as serious about selling Newcastle United or breaking the club’s 14 year old transfer record, as he is about convincing Rafa Benitez to stay on.’
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]