Newcastle United have made a £17m bid for Miguel Almiron according to reports on Thursday morning.
Atlanta United though have rejected that offer according to The Mail, with the MLS club said to have insisted on their £25m valuation being met.
Whether it is £17m or £25m, Newcastle fans find it difficult to believe that anything will come of it.
With nobody bought these past two Januarys and Mike Ashley’s insistence on a £20m+ profit on deals last summer, supporters find it hard/impossible to believe that the owner would be suddenly allowing the 14 year transfer record to be broken in this mid-season window.
Yesterday, Almiron’s agent said that nothing could happen unless/until Newcastle meet Atlanta’s valuation, whilst Mike Ashley’s people pushed out a story earlier in the week claiming that the player’s supposedly greedy wage demands was the big stumbling block.
It doesn’t exactly add up to a transfer that sounds imminent, does it?
On Wednesday, Almiron’s agent said that he had numerous clubs interested in signing the playmaker/number 10 in the Premier League and other European leagues.
Miguel Almiron and his agent have plenty of time to wait with three weeks remaining of the transfer window(s) to see what offers do come in. However, Newcastle will almost certainly be in a very different situation to all of the other potential bidders, as the are desperate for help now, to try and prevent relegation, as well as needing to build for next season and beyond.
Unless anything happens in these next few days, Miguel Almiron will be starting pre-season training with Atlanta United on Monday (14 January) as new manager Frank de Boer begins his job in earnest.
Atlanta United coming back a little earlier as they two CONCACAF Champions League matches against Costa Rican side Herediano to play, the first of those kicking off (22 February) only six weeks tomorrow, then their MLS new season beginning with a visit to DC United on Sunday 3 March.