Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Newcastle United takeover heads into ‘Extra Time’ – Report claims

9 months ago
Share

A report on Friday morning claims that Mike Ashley has given interested buyers ‘extra time’ to purchase Newcastle United.

The Chronicle report that their information is that Ashley had been asked by some of the bidders for additional time to make an acceptable offer.

The newspaper dates this potential sales period back to 3 December, when out of the blue Mike Ashley appeared on Sky News and said a sale of the club was imminent and that it was possible, but not likely, a sale could be complete by the end of December.

Like all newspaper claims on the Newcastle United takeover, you pay your money and make your choice on what you believe.

This Chronicle report, like the vast majority of others, simply looks to be guessing at what might be happening behind the scenes, if anything…

Peter Kenyon of course was first reported to be putting investors together to buy the club back in September, four months ago.

More recent reports then claimed Kenyon was still £100m short of the asking price, all a bit dubious that any journalist could/would know such detail, when not a single one can say who any of the other supposed bidders actually are (apart from vague references to Gary Cook supposedly trying to do a similar thing t Kenyon in terms of trying to generate investors), nor indeed who would be putting the money up for the alleged Peter Kenyon bid.

Plus of course, the only reason anybody might be thinking of something imminent happening or there being deadlines needing ‘extra time’, is purely down to Mike Ashley himself.

His appearance on Sky News 32 days ago when he claimed a deal was at such an advanced stage.

The vast majority of Newcastle fans now treat the takeover claims with the same respect as any chance of NUFC breaking their 14 year old club transfer record this month.

Mike Ashley claims the club has been up for sale for over 11 years now, right back to 2008 when he forced Kevin Keegan out and the fans rebelled.

Difficult to believe that he is serious about selling the club when he still owns it over 11 years later and a deal supposed to be close when Newcastle United are once again deep in relegation trouble.

This extra time might need extending by a year or five…

The Chronicle:

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is believed to have been asked for extra time to negotiate the sale of the club by some of the groups involved eyeing a takeover.

It is now over a month since Ashley appeared on Sky News to state he wanted to sell United “before” the January window opened.

Sources close to the deal have suggested that there has been dialogue in the first few days of the new year, but the satisfactory offer Ashley is looking for is yet to land on the table.

That said, Ashley is believed to have granted the groups their request for more time to get their bids in place and, as it stands, he has not shut the door on any of the four parties involved.’

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2019 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks