Newcastle United make £4m loan offer for Gelson Martins – AS Sport
A report from Spain says that Newcastle United have made a £4m offer to loan Gelson Martins for the rest of the season.
The 23 year old winger joined Atletico Madrid in the summer but having made just one La Liga start so far, is desperate for regular football once again.
Spanish newspaper AS say that Newcastle have made the loan bid, with the player having made only 12 appearances so far in total this season, with four starts, including one in the Champions League and two in the domestic cups.
Gelson Martins was one of the Sporting Lisbon players who asked for his contract to be terminated last summer, following an incident where a group of around 50 supporters invaded the Portuguese club’s training centre and assaulted players and staff members.
In July, Gelson Martins accepted an offer from Atletico Madrid of a five year contract on a free transfer, only for Sporting to then make an official complaint to FIFA over the transfer and demanded compensation of €100 million (approx £90m), which was the release clause they’d had in place. It isn’t clear just how that case was settled financially, although clearly he became an Atletico Madrid player.
As well playing on both wings, the Portuguese international has also played at right-back in the past.
AS say that Arsenal have also had an interest in taking the player but haven’t made any move as yet.
Monaco are another credited with interest but the Spanish newspaper says the player’s preference is to move to the Premier League.
In the two seasons before joining Atletico, the winger scored 14 goals and contributed 17 assists in league matches for Sporting Lisbon.
A number of names are being put forward in terms of loan moves for attacking players coming to Newcastle United and despite the 3-0 victory over Cardiff on Saturday, Rafa Benitez is desperate to add more goals and creativity to his team.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]