Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Man sentenced to 14 years for attempted murder of former Newcastle United star and 27 others

2 years ago
Share

A man has been convicted of the attempted murder of former Newcastle midfielder Mikel Merino and 27 others.

Sergei Wenergold sentenced to 14 years jail for the incident which left two people inured but which could have been deadly.

It was 11 April 2016 and Borussia Dortmund squad were on their way to the stadium to play a home match against Monaco in the Champions League.

The 29 year old Wenergold, a German of Russian origin, had hidden bombs packed with metal pins which went off as the bus passed a hedge.

The blast wounded two people and was initially treated as a suspected jihadist attack.

It later emerged that it was money behind the attack, with the now convicted man planning to make money out of the bombing by betting on a fall in the Borussia Dortmund stock market price.

Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra and a police officer were wounded in the attack.

Since the attack, Mikel Merino has both joined Newcastle and left, moving to Real Sociedad this summer.

After three starts and three sub appearances, scoring once, Merino has been injured the past two months.

He actually returned to action as a sub on Monday night with Real Sociedad home to Celta Vigo, at the same time Newcastle were beating Burnley 2-1.

Coming on for the final 27 minutes with Real Sociedad 2-0 up, Mikel Merino helped the team to see the win out despite conceding late on.

This result puts them eighth in the table, seven point behind La Liga surprise leader Sevilla.

There were only 17,744 there to see last night’s win, a few thousand less than were there at Turf Moor.

The Mag – 23 December 2017:

A man has now been charged with the attempted murder of Newcastle United midfielder Mikel Merino.

The charge relates back to 11 April 2016 when the Spain Under 21 star was only 19 years old.

He was on a coach with the rest of the Borussia Dortmund squad on their way to the stadium to play a home match against Monaco in the Champions League.

The accused has German-Russian dual nationality and has only been identified as ‘Sergei V’ during the legal proceedings so far.

In total, the German prosecutors have charged him with 28 counts of attempted murder, Mikel Merino and the other 27 people on the coach at the time.

The accused was charged on Thursday when he appeared in court of detonating three bombs with the intention of trying to kill those on the bus.

As it happens, investigators later found that the bombs had been placed too high above the road to do the kind of damage that prosecutors believe was intended.

In the event, the only player to be injured was Borussia Dortmund’s Marc Bartra who sustained a broken wrist.

The match was delayed by 24 hours and Dortmund fans invited visiting Monaco supporters into their homes.

The game was still a sell-out 65,849 and there were messages of support for the injured Bartra in the stands and on the shirts of his teammates.

The accused is said to have left letters at the scene trying to make it appear it was Islamist militants who were behind the attack.

However, the prosecutors later revealed that it was instead the 28 year old ‘Sergei V’.

It is alleged that he was purely motivated by money and not terrorist intentions. The individual said to have placed massive bets on the value of the club share price falling, as a reaction to what he hoped would look a terrorist attack on the club.

Statement by prosecutors:

“If several, or even all the Borussia Dortmund players had been badly injured or killed, and if the club had then no longer been able to play in national and international rounds, there would have been a significantly negative effect on the value of Borussia Dortmund’s shares.”

Whilst thankfully nobody was seriously injured, Mikel Merino and others who were on the coach, have all spoke about just how terrifying the incident was at the time.

When the match was played the next day (12 April 2016), Mikel Merino was an unused substitute as Dortmund lost 3-2 to Monaco.

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2021 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks