When Ryan Giggs called him, Newcastle defender Paul Dummett thought it could be a wind-up at first.
An international exile under Chris Coleman, Dummett has now been recalled and was a late sub on Thursday as Wales hammered the Republic of Ireland 4-1, Ciaran Clark one of those on the receiving end.
Turning 27 later this month, Paul Dummett will be hoping to make his first ever start for Wales on Sunday, when they travel to play Denmark.
Despite having made a number of squads, the Welsh defender has so far being limited to only 41 minutes of action.
Nine minutes on Thursday, as well as brief sub appearances, both in friendly defeats against Holland back in 2014 and 2015.
A Premier League regular, the Geordie defender should get some decent game time for his country in the months ahead.
Paul Dummett now only looking forward with this Ryan Giggs era, rather than back to his problems with Chris Coleman.
That call from Ryan Giggs ending Dummett’s exile.
Paul Dummett speaking to BBC Radio Wales:
“I was obviously surprised because I didn’t have his [Ryan Giggs] number saved, so when he called me I didn’t know if it was a wind-up or not.
“But I was delighted when I first got the call and hopefully I can get more opportunities to play for the team.
“I know there’s things been said in the media about me closing the door.
“I never closed the door and I never would close the door, really.
“That was just because of the situation that had happened and the circumstances of what the previous manager [Chris Coleman] had said.”
“All players want to play in the biggest games and biggest tournaments.
“I was involved building up to the Euros, but didn’t get the nod, and it was a massive disappointment not to be involved.
“But that’s football. These things happen.
“Managers have opinions so I can’t complain that the manager picked other players because we had good players in my position as well.
“So I’m just hoping to get some more opportunities to play.”