Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

News

Confirmation Mike Ashley people briefing media about drop in Newcastle United asking price

9 months ago
Share

Tuesday morning brought interesting claims that Mike Ashley had dropped the asking price for Newcastle United.

The Shields Gazette said (see below) their information was that the NUFC owner was now prepared to accept around £300m, rather than the £400m figure that was widely reported earlier this year as the asking price.

Following on from that report, we now appear to at least have confirmation that Mike Ashley’s people are briefing the media as to this supposed drop in asking price.

The Chronicle are saying that they were also told by Mike Ashley associates that he would now take £300m.

Obviously this is a long way from anything actually happening and we are now well aware that nothing that is said by Mike Ashley or his minions (Keith Bishop pictured to Ashley’s left above) can be relied on.

However, it does allow us all to daydream just a little bit that there may be some grain of truth in terms of him having a willingness to deal at a price closer to the club’s actual current worth.

This doesn’t change anything of course and Newcastle fans need to continue to do everything they can to help persuade Ashley to sell up.

It is now over 10 years since Mike Ashley told us ‘No need to protest anymore because I’m going to sell Newcastle United’ and a decade further on, the club is in an even bigger mess thanks to his malicious and clueless running of NUFC.

Mark Douglas from The Chronicle:

“I know of interest.

“I can tell you there are at least two interested parties I’ve been told about (one would be PCP Capital, who retain interest but not at the prices being quoted).

“But whether it ever amounts to anything more than that is the £400million question.

“Or should that be £300million, because two weeks ago I was told friends of Mike Ashley were saying he would accept an offer in that region if there were no clauses attached to it.

“The same person said he was fed up with football – although I’ve heard that before.”

The Mag – Earlier today (Tuesday 18 September 2018):

A news story breaking on Tuesday morning reports that Mike Ashley has slashed the price he is demanding for Newcastle United, in order to sell the club sooner rather than later.

It will take a lot to persuade the many sceptical Newcastle fans, including me, that Ashley has any interest whatsoever in selling the club, but as always, I hope one of these exclusives proves me wrong.

The Shields Gazette say/claim that their information is that Mike Ashley is now willing to take around £300m for Newcastle United, this is some £100m lower than the £400m that was widely reported as the asking price previously.

The newspaper doesn’t give any details as to their source for this story and as always, anybody can write anything about Mike Ashley selling/not selling NUFC and no way of proving the truth,, or otherwise, of it.

Looking for positives that could in theory back up this story, the start to the season could just maybe have convinced Ashley that this is going to be an even tougher task of surviving this time, compared to last year.

Whilst Newcastle have played four of last season’s top six, there are more tough games coming up, with no guarantee of climbing out of the relegation zone any time soon.

Whatever the truth or not about the Amanda Staveley led bid and other claimed ones, it is obvious to anyone that once you are in the middle of a football season and things are going badly on the pitch, an increased possibility of relegation has to bring the value of any football club down.

With Newcastle one of only two clubs to make a profit in the summer window, whilst every one of Newcastle’s rivals tried their best to strengthen, even Mike Ashley must realise that this season is in the balance, as Rafa Benitez can only do so much with the tools he has to work with.

Shields Gazette:

‘Mike Ashley is prepared to lower his asking price for Newcastle United – as fans step up their protests against him.

Ashley put the club up for sale 11 months ago as the team battled to stay in the Premier League.

The billionaire – who is focused on his Sports Direct empire – had indicated that he was looking for upwards of £380million.

However, the Gazette understands that Ashley is ready to revise his expectations and consider bids closer to £300million.

Ashley broke off takeover talks with financier Amanda Staveley in January.

Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners had lodged an offer of £250million, which was rejected by Ashley.

An associate of Ashley labelled talks with Staveley as a “complete waste of time”.

Ashley has had no success in finding an alternative buyer up to now.’

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2019 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks