Rafa Benitez escalates battle with Mike Ashley – Great news
Rafa Benitez chose last summer’s training camp in Ireland to expose how he was being treated by Mike Ashley.
The manager saying in the lead up to the season that he was being badly let down in the transfer market, Rafa then repeatedly asking the NUFC owner to keep his ‘promises’ in terms of strengthening the squad.
On Tuesday, ahead of the first friendly against St Patrick’s Athletic, as this summer’s training camp was drawing to a close, Rafa Benitez once again opened up.
After a summer of keeping his silence, presumably once again hoping against hope that Ashley would back him this time, Benitez once more felt he had no alternative but to go on he offensive.
The United manager stating that he couldn’t buy his transfer targets unless he first sold players, quite astonishing when every other club is doing all they can to strengthen their squad in what looks a very competitive Premier League.
Now Rafa Benitez has escalated the battle with Mike Ashley, his latest quotes making 100% clear where Newcastle United stand if nothing changes.
Putting it bluntly, the manager says that ‘Next year the target will be to stay up.’
Rafa says he was hoping/expecting more than another battle against relegation ‘but it is what we have at the moment.’
The Champions League, Europa League, La Liga winner, says that with zero support from Mike Ashley in the form of transfer backing, he is ‘100%’ sure that this season it will be tougher than last time.
With only 20 days until transfer deadline day and 22 days until the season kicks off, it defies belief that Rafa Benitez hasn’t even been backed to bring in the striker that is so desperately needed, and indeed was desperately needed last summer.
With the situation as it stands, the manager has no choice but to go on the offensive and let’s hope that he continues to do that.
At the moment he is talking about Mike Ashley but only by default, interesting to see just how far Rafa Benitez is prepared to go in these next few weeks.
One thing for sure is that the Newcastle fans are 100% behind him.
“Next year the target will be to stay up.
“The reality is that the Premier League is difficult…and every year the others spend money and bring new players.
“You don’t know (if just) because we finished tenth this (past) year, we can (automatically) be in the middle next season, because everyone (else) is spending.
“We have to fix a target to stay up and that is it.
“Concentrate on staying up and then after that see where.
“It will be more difficult than last year.
“Fulham, Wolves are spending….Huddersfield, Brighton…everyone is spending, making it more difficult.
“Yeah (I was hoping for more than a battle against relegation) but it is what we have at the moment.
“Yes, 100% (it will be tougher this coming season).
“Fulham and Wolves have big money and when you talk about the market, you know what offers they are making.
“They will be stronger at the beginning than Huddersfield and Brighton, (but) Brighton and Huddersfield are already in the Premier League and they are spending some (more) money.
“Then you see West Ham, they are spending some money…”
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]