Whilst the Chancel Mbemba move to Anderlecht is reported to be dead in the water and the defender set to join Porto instead, Matz Sels is set to at last make his move permanent.

Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad says that talks took place on Monday between Anderlecht and Newcastle to finalise the deal, with the player having already agreed personal terms some weeks ago.

The report says that all sides in the negotiations are keen to get things agreed quickly now, with the move set to be announced this week.

The season starts a few weeks earlier in Belgium compared to most other European leagues and Anderlecht have already signed seven new players ahead of pre-season training.

Their first pre-season friendly is only 10 days away (22 June v RWDM) and the Belgian newspaper says Matz Sels wants to be back training with the Anderlecht squad on Monday (18 Jun), ahead of the friendly on the Friday.

They also repot that whilst Matz Sels is to come in as number one, Anderlecht are also in talks to bring in Thomas Didillon, who will be number two to the soon to be former Newcastle keeper.

Maybe this is one deal that will be finalised a little quicker than would otherwise have been the case, if Matz Sels had made the final cut for Belgium’s World Cup squad.

Rafa Benitez can only be helped by the number of unwanted players he can manage to quickly move on in this window.