Besiktas accept offer of £13m from Newcastle United for Oguzhan Ozyakup – Report
Oguzhan Ozyakup has been regularly linked with Newcastle United over the course of the last couple of months (see below).
Now Fotospor are reporting that Besiktas have accepted a 15m euros (approx £13m) for the midfielder from Newcastle.
As with all of these reports, it is a case of believe it when it happens, with winger Garry Rodrigues of Galatasaray another player who the Turkish media have been insistent on there being interest from Newcastle.
The situation has been complicated by the fact that Oguzhan Ozyakup was due to be out of contract at the end of June – though the media had said the player was prepared to sign another contract, so that Besiktas would be guaranteed a decent transfer fee this summer.
Today’s exclusive from Fotospor says that whilst the £13m fee has supposedly been agreed with Newcastle, the deal could still rest on Arsenal (his previous club).
The Gunners sold Oguzhan Ozyakup for only £500,000 six years ago but are said to be entitled to 30% (4.5m euros) of any future transfer fee, Fotospor saying Besiktas want Arsenal to agree to reduce that to 10% (1.5m euros) before the transfer can happen.
The Mag – 11 April 2018:
Newcastle United continue to be linked with Oguzhan Ozyakup.
The Turkish media insisting that both Everton and Newcastle want to bring the player to the Premier League.
At the weekend it was claimed that Newcastle officials had actually now met the player’s agents for talks (read below).
One attraction of Oguzhan Ozyakup was that he is due to be out of contract this summer, although Turkish media have repeatedly insisted that the player would be happy to sign another deal before the end of the season, ensuring Besiktas would receive a fee.
The latest on Wednesday from Turkey, sees Fotomac report that their information is that the 25 year old Turkish international has now agreed the terms of a contract extension, and is set to sign it imminently.
They also claim that Oguzhan Ozyakup and Besiktas have agreed a reasonable £10.5m (12m euros) buyout fee to be included in the contract, enabling him to move on if he receives an acceptable offer from another club.
The Mag – 7 April 2018:
At the end of last month, it was reported that Newcastle United had been watching Oguzhan Ozyakup throughout this season.
Turkish-Football claiming that Newcastle had followed up that initial interest by contacting the midfielder’s agents.
The 25 year old currently plays for Bekistas and is due to be out of contract this summer.
Now Turkish newspaper Fanatik are saying that another step has been taken, with Newcastle United representatives having now actually met the player’s agents.
The report stating that the agents told Newcastle what the expectation of wages would be and NUFC agreeing to pay the player around £45,000 per week, if a move is agreed.
Other clubs are also said to be interested in Oguzhan Ozyakup, including Everton.
Like every other transfer story at this time of the year (or any other time…), we will believe it when it happens.
The Mag – 27 March 2018
Newcastle United have now contacted Oguzhan Ozyakup representatives about a move to Tyneside in the summer, according to reports on Tuesday morning.
The 25 year old midfielder was born in Holland but decided to play for Turkey at international level and is a regular for the national team.
On the books of AZ Alkmaar as a kid, Oguzhan Ozyakup then signed for Arsenal and starred in their youth ranks, going on to make a couple of cup appearances, as well as being on the bench in some Premier League and Champions League matches.
Transferred to Besiktas when 19, the attacking midfielder has had a lot of success, helping them to win the domestic league title the past two seasons. They are currently third with eight match remaining, four points behind Galatsaray.
The midfielder has been a major contributor in the attacking third for the Turkish club, scoring 27 goals and grabbing 48 assists since moving from Arsenal.
Now Turkish-Football report that they have been told by a source close to Besiktas that Newcastle have watched Oguzhan Ozyakup throughout this season and have now contacted the player’s agents to talk about a potential move in the summer.
Newcastle were constantly linked with Cenk Tosun who played alongside the midfielder, even supposedly putting in a bid at one point, but the striker moved to Everton for £27m in January.
Like any transfer story, you believe what you want, but it is conceivable that the Turkish league could be seen as one that maybe could still give some value.
Whilst overall the Turkish league isn’t great quality, Tosun has done well at Everton so far, scoring four goals despite only five Premier League starts.
Another factor that could have attracted Newcastle United, is that the player’s contract situation.
Oguzhan Ozyakup is set to be out of contract this summer and Besiktas are reported to be frantically trying to get a new one signed off, to prevent the player leaving for nothing.
It does though look as though a move could be on the cards regardless, as after mixing time in the starting eleven with a place on the bench in his first three seasons, these last two title winning years saw the midfielder automatic first choice. However, this season he has once again been in and out of the team, starting 13 league games and on the bench 10 times.
After five goals and seven assists in the league last season and nine and seven the year before, this season the midfielder has only two assists, suggesting he needs to move on.
Besiktas did well in the Champions League until meeting Bayern Munich, Oguzhan Ozyakup playing seven times and starting five of those games.
Everton are said by Turkish-Football to also be keen on the player, particularly after the success of Cenk Tosun.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]