Jonjo Shelvey was ruled out of a return to Anfield on Saturday.
The midfielder having collided with Martin Dubravka during the Bournemouth match and picking up a knee injury.
Rafa Benitez revealed on Friday that Jonjo Shelvey wanted to train and play but he had been told he had to wait for the results of the scans on the injury (see below), so couldn’t be involved at Liverpool.
Monday night has brought an update and it is good news.
The Mail revealing that their information is that Shelvey was back doing light running earlier today (Monday) and that fears of a long-term lay-off had been quashed.
The report continues with confirmation that the midfielder will be returning to training this week in the lead up to Southampton and he still has a chance of making it, though the odds are against it.
With three weeks until the following (Huddersfield at home) game, Rafa Benitez won’t be taking any chances if there is the slightest doubt.
It was also The Mail who last week revealed last week that as well as the knee problem, Jonjo Shelvey had already been taking painkilling injections for a groin problem – but the newspaper says that this isn’t something that will prevent him playing in the weeks/months ahead.
Shelvey looked back to his best in the win over Man Utd last month after an indifferent season so far, then at Bournemouth he did ok until the later stages when struggling to play a part in the desperate defending in the last 15 minutes.
Rafa Benitez – Friday 2 March 2018:
“Jonjo Shelvey has a knock to his knee and he will not be available.
“We are waiting on the results of the scans. We don’t know how serious it is. He wants to train and play but we have to check.”