Rafa Benitez has no chance of signing three top transfer targets according to Sky Sports.
Ahead of the January transfer window, the Newcastle boss stated that as a starting point he expected the money that had been promised in the summer but which wasn’t forthcoming, would now be available to spend.
Rafa having had early transfer targets lined up at the beginning of the summer transfer window which were blocked by Mike Ashley, with the experienced manager believed to have done the same for January, trying to get players in as soon as possible to help in crucial matches. A vital relegation clash with Swansea on Saturday (13 January) a prime example.
However, at the weekend Rafa Benitez revealed that he still hadn’t even been told what transfer budget, if any, he had to spend this January.
Keith Downie is the Sky Sports man who covers Newcastle United and he says that three targets that the United boss had identified, will definitely not be coming to St James Park.
Speaking to the Sky Sports transfer talk podcast, Keith Downie said:
“Rafa Benitez has looked at David Luiz this window.
“He would like to bring him in on loan until the end of the season but there is no chance of that happening.
“He would also like to bring in Daniel Sturridge from Liverpool, or Danny Ings, but these are not going to happen.
“For one they (Newcastle United) can’t afford it, and two, he hasn’t even been told the (January transfer window) budget.”