Sean Dyche speaks ahead of Newcastle v Burnley
Sean Dyche has been speaking to the media ahead of Wednesday night’s game at St James Park.
Burnley are actually enjoying an 11 day rest between games, as they lost 4-1 away at Manchester City in the FA Cup third round.
After reaching relative safety so early, their form has actually crashed through the floor.
Sean Dyche has seen his side lose their last four matches (all competitions) and indeed they haven’t won in their last eight games (all competitions).
The Burnley boss had been on a 12 month rolling contract but last week he signed a longer term deal, agreeing a contract until the end of the 2021/22 season.
With loyalty shown by both manager and club, Sean Dyche has overseen two promotions to the Premier League as well as one relegation from the top tier.
The 46 year old has been in charge at Turf Moor since 2012 and has won 97 of his 245 matches.
Ahead of the Newcastle match Sean Dyche has revealed that Steven Defour is to see a specialist over a knee injury.
The Belgian international has been an ever-present in central midfield in the Premier League this season but is now a big doubt for Wednesday.
“Steven Defour has done very well but it is something he’s had in his knee for a couple of weeks.
“It’s been a bit of a problem and he felt, and we felt, it was right to get it looked at.
“We will make a decision when we know more. We’ll find out more in the next few days.”
The Burnley boss also says that centre-back James Tarkowski is ‘touch and go’ for the Newcastle match, as he is carrying a minor groin problem.
Striker Chris Wood and goalkeeper Tom Heaton are stepping up their training but won’t be ready for this midweek game, whilst Dean Marney is also ruled out with a medial knee ligament problem.
One one positive for Sean Dyche is that left-back Stephen Ward is now back in full training and is a possibility for the Newcastle game.
Sean Dyche says it is looking unlikely he will be making any late signings in this window but he has already brought in Aaron Lennon from Everton for an undisclosed fee, as well as Georges-Kevin N’Koudou on loan from Tottenham.
As for Newcastle United, the transfer window shambles continues.
With widespread reports that the Nicolai Jorgensen transfer is off due to Mike Ashley refusing to pay the price tag, now Daniel Sturridge is said to have turned his back on a move to Newcastle and is set to join West Brom on loan instead.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]