Nicolai Jorgensen move to Newcastle United looks dead in the water after Sunday’s news
The Nicolai Jorgensen transfer to Newcastle looks all but dead in the water.
Newcastle having made an opening bid of £12m for a striker Feyenoord value at £20m.
This was followed by claims that NUFC’s offer had been raised to around £15m but that the Dutch club were sticking to their valuation.
Sunday lunchtime bringing media reports now that Mike Ashley/Newcastle United have ‘refused to be held to ransom’ by Feyenoord.
Otherwise known as ‘refusing to pay the asking price’.
As was reported on The Mag on Saturday (see below), Sunday looked a key day on the Nicolai Jorgensen deal.
For the move to have any chance of happening, the striker would surely be left out of the Feyenoord team to avoid potential injury scuppering a transfer.
However, Nicolai Jorgensen has been named to spearhead the Feyenoord attack as they take on ADO Den Haag at home today, the game kicking off at 1.30pm, the same time when Newcastle are kicking off in West London.
If indeed any chance of signing the Danish striker has now gone, Newcastle fans will be wondering exactly how serious Mike Ashley was about supporting Rafa Benitez this month.
Three days until this January window closes.
(***Feyenoord won 3-1, Jorgensen playing the first 83 minutes before being subbed for Robin van Persie, the Danish striker didn’t get on the scoresheet)
The Mag – Saturday 27 January 2018:
The Nicolai Jorgensen transfer saga continues.
The 27 year old Danish international said to be inching towards a transfer to Newcastle United.
De Telegraaf are now reporting that Newcastle have upped their bid to £15m but that Feyenoord have told them once again that £20m is the asking price.
The Dutch club’s Manager, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, admits that they are making plans to cover a potential departure of Nicolai Jorgensen and Director of Football, Martin Van Geel, is going through the manager’s list of possible successors.
However, Feyenoord have already brought in fans’ favourite Robin van Persie this month, the striker left the club in 2004 when moving to Arsenal and has now returned.
Van Persie made his second debut for Feyenoord in midweek, coming on for the final 10 minutes as they only managed a draw with Utrecht, the clubs fifth and sixth in the table.
Nicolai Jorgensen was suspended for that match, having picked up two yellow cards in the 2-0 defeat at second top Ajax, however, he is now available for Feyenoord’s next match.
Van Bronckhorst says that as it currently stands, he intends to play Jorgensen against ADO Den Haag when the teams meet on Sunday.
That is of course unless something changes on the transfer front…
If Nicolai Jorgensen plays in that match then surely we can more or less write off his chances of a move to Newcastle in this transfer window.
If Feyenoord think there is any chance of Newcastle meeting their asking price then there is surely no way they would play him and risk injury and such a valuable deal being ruled out. This is somebody that they could potentially be making up to £17m profit on after signing Jorgensen for less than £3m only 18 months ago.
The point is as well, tomorrow’s game is all but meaningless for Feyenoord so there is no driving reason to include the striker. They are 16 points off PSV at the top and 11 behind even second placed Ajax, Feyenoord have no chance of Champions League football next season, never mind the league title in this campaign.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst says that he has already discussed the potential move to Newcastle and the striker is interested, the Feyenoord Manager saying he understands the attraction of the Premier League and of course the higher wages the Danish striker would then pick up.
All that is needed now is for Mike Ashley to meet Feyenoord’s asking price.
All eyes will be on the Feyenoord team selection when it is named tomorrow lunchtime, the game against ADO Den Haag kicking off at 1.30pm on Sunday.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]