Feyenoord have turned down a £12m bid from Newcastle United for Nicolai Jorgensen, according to widespread media reports on Wednesday morning.
The Dutch club are said to value the striker at £20m and to have immediately turned down Newcastle’s offer as nowhere near enough.
Nicolai Jorgensen was top scorer in the Dutch league last season and scored 21 goals to help Feyenoord to lift the title by one point from Ajax.
However, not so great so far this season for the 27 year old forward or his team, they currently lie a disastrous fifth in the table and are 17 points behind leaders PSV and 12 behind second placed Ajax.
Feyenoord also finished bottom of the Champions League group that was topped by Manchester City, Jorgensen scoring two goals.
In the league, the Danish striker has scored only seven goals so far this time but had a hamstring injury that has limited him to playing in only 14 of Feyenoord’s 18 league matches.
A Danish international with 29 appearances, he has scored eight goals and has helped his country qualify for this Summer’s World Cup finals in Russia. He played in both play-off matches against Ciaran Clark’s Republic of Ireland but didn’t score.
Failing to make it in Germany earlier in his career with Bayer Leverkusen and Kaiserslautern, Nicolai Jorgensen returned to his homeland to play for FC Copenhagen.
In 88 league starts plus 11 off the bench he scored 43 goals, then since joining Feyenoord for around £2.5m in Summer 2016 the striker has scored 28 goals in 45 league starts plus one appearance off the bench.
Obviously there is a long history of strikers scoring loads of goals in the Dutch league and then when going to stronger leagues such as in England and Germany, having very mixed results.
Jorgensen’s 26 year old team-mate Steven Berghuis got a £6m move to Watford back in Summer 2015 after doing well at AZ Alkmaar but lasted only one season in the Premier League, struggling to get a game and in his nine PL starts didn’t score a single goal.
Moving back to Holland and joining Feyenoord at the same time as Nicolai Jorgensen im Summer 2016, Berghuis only managed seven league goals last season but has outscored Jorgensen this time, with 11 so far to be Feyenoord’s top scorer.
Difficult to judge who will be a success when stepping up from weaker leagues but at 27 and his overall profile, it is difficult to see how Nicolai Jorgensen could demand a £20m price tag.
Though who knows these days – it is all about adding better quality for Newcastle up front and who else is there about who Newcastle could attract?
It is easy to see why Feyenoord may be keen to sell, especially if they can get £20m for a player they signed for just £2.5m 18 months ago. With no chance of success in the league this season, Feyenoord will already be looking to build for next season and with no Champions League cash to look forward to next year, selling Nicolai Jorgensen can help give them funds to invest in signings to get back up to the top next season.
As for Newcastle, last night brought reports that they had also turned down a ‘paltry’ offer for one of their strikers, with claims that Brighton had bid £8m for Aleksandar Mitrovic, Newcastle said to want £15m or more if they are to consider selling the Serbian striker, a striker of course who hasn’t been selected to start a single Premier League match this season and who Rafa picked only 11 times in the Championship.
As always, whether it is a player or a football club, something/someone is worth only what somebody else is willing to pay.
Yesterday did see Newcastle make their first signing of the window, 21 year old Kenedy arriving on loan from Chelsea.
Only seven days now until the last day of the January transfer window…