Newsletter

Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!

Opinion

Hilarious as newspaper still clings to Tuesday’s brilliantly mistimed increased Amanda Staveley bid ‘Exclusive’

1 year ago
Share

Tuesday opened up with an exclusive reporting that Amanda Staveley, after ongoing talks with the Mike Ashley camp, had made clear they would now pay in excess of £300m for Newcastle United.

The Express exclusive (see below) claimed that Ms Staveley was still waiting for a response to the offer from Mike Ashley and that response was only being delayed because the NUFC owner was waiting to see how much the next lot of UK TV rights deals for Premier League football will be, when announced next month (February).

Tuesday of course then ended with dramatic messages from both the Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley sides.

The Ashley side saying talks had stopped some time ago and that they had actually been a ‘complete waste of time’.

Whilst the Staveley side of things said the original (£250m) was definitely made and indicated that it was still on the table.

In a hilarious move, the Express have now on Wednesday morning tried to keep their embarrassingly timed ‘exclusive’ live, by claiming that the ‘Staveley camp has been left stunned by Ashley’s decision to walk away from talks. They wer looking to increase their offer from an initial £250m to one of over £300m.’

You honestly couldn’t make it up…

So, as if Mike Ashley would turn Amanda Staveley away if she now presented a written offer of over £300m???

The Express – Wednesday 17 January 2018:

‘While Benitez had resigned himself to having minimal funds available for signings this month, he had pinned his faith in the takeover proving successful so he could land his top targets in the summer.

It now looks as if Ashley will be staying put, leaving Benitez considering his own position.

The Staveley camp has been left stunned by Ashley’s decision to walk away from talks. They were looking to increase their offer from an initial £250m to one of over £300m.’

The Mag – Tuesday 16 January 2018:

A new exclusive reports that Amanda Staveley has put in a new and improved offer to buy Newcastle United.

It is claimed that the new Staveley led bid is ‘in excess of £300m’.

Like most of you, I will believe it when I see it in terms of Mike Ashley cutting his ties with Newcastle United.

This latest exclusive appeared late on Monday night and was published by The Express, which hasn’t exactly got the best track record of breaking Newcastle United stories.

Amongst their Newcastle Takeover exclusives in the past, The Express claimed in October that after buying the club, Amanda Staveley was going to give Rafa Benitez £500m to spend over the course of the next two years.

That report/exclusive also claimed Andros Townsend and Hatem Ben Arfa were being targeted to be the first of that £500m spending spree this month (January).

This latest dubious Express exclusive says that after further talks and Amanda Staveley making the new £300m+ offer, Mike Ashley has allegedly not responded to the improved new offer and is waiting to see what figures the new TV deals will come in at.

The UK rights are set to be announced in February, which will be for the three seasons starting with the 2019/20 one.

The oversea rights are already guaranteed to soar beyond the current totals, each country/area of the world is negotiated separately and with the countries agreed so far, it means only waiting to see just how much higher those overseas rights will go.
[get_involved]

Share

If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2019 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks