Exclusive reports Amanda Staveley has increased Newcastle Takeover offer to over £300m – Dubious
A new exclusive reports that Amanda Staveley has put in a new and improved offer to buy Newcastle United.
It is claimed that the new Staveley led bid is ‘in excess of £300m’.
Like most of you, I will believe it when I see it in terms of Mike Ashley cutting his ties with Newcastle United.
This latest exclusive appeared late on Monday night and was published by The Express, which hasn’t exactly got the best track record of breaking Newcastle United stories.
Amongst their Newcastle Takeover exclusives in the past, The Express claimed in October that after buying the club, Amanda Staveley was going to give Rafa Benitez £500m to spend over the course of the next two years.
That report/exclusive also claimed Andros Townsend and Hatem Ben Arfa were being targeted to be the first of that £500m spending spree this month (January).
This latest dubious Express exclusive says that after further talks and Amanda Staveley making the new £300m+ offer, Mike Ashley has allegedly not responded to the improved new offer and is waiting to see what figures the new TV deals will come in at.
The UK rights are set to be announced in February, which will be for the three seasons starting with the 2019/20 one.
The oversea rights are already guaranteed to soar beyond the current totals, each country/area of the world is negotiated separately and with the countries agreed so far, it means only waiting to see just how much higher those overseas rights will go.
Optimists will point to the Star running the same exclusive within minutes of the Express publishing theirs…but both papers are owned by the same person, so it isn’t as though there has been a major briefing of the media overall, by somebody with insider knowledge.
The owner of both the Star and Express if Richard Desmond, he was pictured at the infamous curry restaurant meeting of Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley, along with a number of other people Though it was The Sun who had those exclusive photos and broke that story.
Whatever you believe about this latest exclusive, if indeed Mike Ashley is serious about selling the football club, then surely the only big show in town is the relegation issue.
Until that is decided either way then it is very difficult/impossible to see any chance of the sale of Newcastle United, the drop would make the club instantly worth far less and indeed the size of the new Premier League TV deals would become all but meaningless if there were major doubts as to Newcastle being still around in the top tier to enjoy the benefits.
The report also says that whatever happens with the alleged higher Amanda Staveley offer, it won’t increase the amount of money available for Rafa Benitez to spend in January, which I can believe.
However, it also claims that Rafa definitely does have money to spend this month, which I am finding it more and more difficult to believe with each passing day.
If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]