Jack Colback clearly has no future at Newcastle United.
Rafa Benitez excluded the midfielder from his 25 man Premier League squad and sent him to train and play with the reserves.
The 28 year obviously needs another club but will anybody take him in January.
An exclusive on Tuesday morning claims that Jack Colback is heading back to Sunderland.
Teamtalk report that Sunderland want to take the midfielder back to Wearside.
‘TEAMtalk can reveal Newcastle outcast Jack Colback could be on his way back to Sunderland this January.
Colback played 21 times in Benitez’s promotion winning side last term, but he has now been told he is free to leave, although due to his wages Newcastle may have to sanction a loan move.
And Sunderland – the club Colback began his career with and starred for – are keen on bringing the 28-year-old back to Wearside.
Colback left the Black Cats on a free transfer to join the club the club he grew up supporting in July 2014 and he has made 94 appearances for the Toon Armey.’
I can’t imagine this deal ever happening, back in late August (see below) as the transfer window was closing, The Sun claimed that Sunderland were trying to get Colback on loan.
We detailed then that this was surely fantasy, after the things Colback has said since leaving Sunderland, as well as the way he did it, plus the reaction of the Mackem fans to the idea.
As much chance of Jack Colback going back to Sunderland as there is of Mike Ashley properly backing Rafa Benitez in the January transfer window.
The Mag – 31 August 2017:
Interesting/amusing claims on Thursday morning that Jack Colback could be set for a return to Sunderland.
The midfielder is one of a lengthy list of players who Rafa Benitez has been desperate to get out of St James Park.
The likes of Hanley, de Jong and Riviere have all moved on, with hopefully at least a few of Haidara, Krul, Darlow, Lazaar and Colback, set to join them on this deadline day.
Jack Colback was one of those sent to train with the kids and wasn’t even included in the public training session at St James Park two weeks ago.
Hull City had emerged as the favourites in recent days to ‘land’ Colback, with claims of a loan deal that would see Newcastle pay half of the midfielder’s wages.
However, now it is claimed by The Sun that the Newcastle player could return to Sunderland instead on loan.
Your first reaction would normally be to think that there is no way this is likely but after Lee Clark moved to Wearside back in the day, I would never rule anything out.
Ignoring past history a loan move would make sense but then that would rely on totally forgetting the circumstances of his departure.
Sunderland even released an official statement (see below) in June 2014 when Jack Colback signed for Newcastle United.
The Mackems clearly feeling that they had been misled by the player and his agents, leading to them not receiving a penny when one of their first team players left.
As for the Sunderland fans, when the two clubs then met, they made their feelings quite clear by producing some very over the top visual messages…
Sunderland Official Statement – June 2014:
“Jack is a player we have nurtured and developed through our academy system since he was eight years old.
“We gave him the opportunity to become a professional footballer and are therefore extremely disappointed in the events that have led to his departure from the club.
“This wasn’t about money – the club agreed to all of the terms demanded of us during discussions and we were always led to believe that Jack wanted to stay with us.
“At his and his representatives’ request, final talks were put on hold until the club secured its top flight status.
“To our dismay however, we were subsequently never given the chance to negotiate with him to stay.
“For him to then leave the club that has supported him throughout his formative years in such a manner, with no chance for Sunderland to recover any of the significant investment that it has made in him as a player, has left a bitter taste.”