Get your daily update and weekly newsletter by signing up today!


We asked fans who’d be in their Newcastle team v Watford – Very interesting outcome

4 years ago

Yesterday we asked you the question…Which 11 players would you pick in Newcastle team v Watford?

We put together a list of the 20 players who could potentially be selected on Saturday.

The likes of Paul Dummett, Christian Atsu, and Jamaal Lascelles, all left out of our list after Rafa said they weren’t ready to come back yet, whilst Isaac Hayden is suspended for this one after picking up five bookings and one match ban.

Some very interesting movement from what Newcastle fans chose a week ago for Manchester United.

Shelvey, Ritchie, Clark, Lejeune and Yedlin are once again seen as no-brainers, all five getting 94% or more support.

As he returns to full fitness, Dwight Gayle has impressed, with 90% support to start as opposed to 62% v Man Utd.

Also on 90% is Mikel Merino after Rafa Benitez said on Friday he will be in the squad, I’m guessing the other 10% are wondering whether he will be fit enough to start after not being named in the starting team since Liverpool eight weeks ago.

Next up is Rob Elliot with a drop of 15% to 80% after a poor showing at Old Trafford, Karl Darlow rising from 7% to 23% as a result (not everybody picks 11 players when voting, if you wondered why the two keepers add up to 103%).

Yet again Mitrovic with 79% is heavily preferred to Joselu (18%), although whilst Mitro has dropped 7%, the Spaniard has actually gained an extra 1% after last weekend.

The other two positions in the team are most contentious, both on the left side.

Mbemba (58%) ahead of Manquillo (44%) with little change in their figures,

Whilst left wing sees Murphy (47%) just edge out Aarons (46%) but the story here is that after a few decent moments at Man Utd, Murphy has increased from 21% to 47%.

Ayoze Perez has actually dropped even further from 38% to 23% fan support, with I guess Gayle responsible for most of that fall.

Very little appetite to see the likes of Diame (8%) and Saivet (4%) given a chance.

Here is the percentage support for each player from the thousands of votes cast and in brackets was the fan support/vote for the team selection v Man Utd last week, then an image of how this fan selected team would potentially look:

99% (99%) Jonjo Shelvey

98% (99%) Matt Ritchie

95% (88%) Ciaran Clark

95% (94%) Florian Lejeune

94% (98%) DeAndre Yedlin

90% (62%) Dwight Gayle

90% Mikel Merino

80% (95%) Rob Elliot

72% (79%) Aleksandar Mitrovic

58% (63%) Chancel Mbemba

47% (21%) Jacob Murphy

46% (65%) Rolando Aarons

44% (46%) Javier Manquillo

23% (38%) Ayoze Perez

23% (7%) Karl Darlow

18% (17%) Joselu

11% (14%) Jesus Gamez

8% (11%) Mohamed Diame

7% (6%) Massadio Haidara

4% (6%) Henri Saivet

Newcastle v Watford Match Betting:

Newcastle win 6/5 Draw 12/5Watford 13/5Gayle to score first goal 5/1

NUFC to win and both teams to score 7/2Watford to win and both teams to score 6/1Game to end 0-0 15/2

All Newcastle v Watford betting HERE

New customers to BetVictor qualify for up to a £40 welcome bonus in free bets.


If you would like to feature on The Mag, submit your article to [email protected]

Have your say

© 2022 The Mag. All Rights Reserved. Design & Build by Mediaworks